Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Intensity control on the ILDA pinout

Default The Intensity control on the ILDA pinout

Does anyone know if the Intensity/Blanking control on the ILDA pinout must always be set when working with a projector?

That is, if I set the G channel to be full on, but the Intensity/Blanking to be 0v I won't see any output until I bring the I/B up as well?

Or does it depend on the manufacturer?

Steve

It is my understanding that the intensity output is at high whenever a colour channel has any output.
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

It is often not used on modern projectors with analog-modulation. But to be true to the ILDA spec, Doc is correct: the intensity line should be driven high by the controller whenever it is displaying any color, no matter the brightness.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    It is often not used on modern projectors with analog-modulation. But to be true to the ILDA spec, Doc is correct: the intensity line should be driven high by the controller whenever it is displaying any color, no matter the brightness.
    Sorry, I don't think that is true to the ILDA specification at all. ILDA says the intensity signal is an analog signal proportional to intensity (ILDA standard projector document, page 13). This "driven high by the controller whenever it is displaying any color, no matter the brightness" is just a Pangolin invention AFAIK.

I agree that in practice, the function depends entirely on your projector manufacturer.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by weartronics View Post
    Sorry, I don't think that is true to the ILDA specification at all. ILDA says the intensity signal is an analog signal proportional to intensity (ILDA standard projector document, page 13). This "driven high by the controller whenever it is displaying any color, no matter the brightness" is just a Pangolin invention AFAIK.

I agree that in practice, the function depends entirely on your projector manufacturer.
    A older version of the document says if you cant derive it from software, or have a monochrome projector, tie it to red. The default ilda signal was red, but that was before DPSS green became so common.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Cool

Hmmm... I thought the intensity signal was included for early PCAOM drivers that needed a +5 voltage input (in addition to the modulation inputs) whenever they were "on". The color modulation signal controlled which lines were to be diffracted and by how much, but without that TTL signal you wouldn't get any output at all.

What is the date on that document you referenced?

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    What is the date on that document you referenced?
    Hi Adam, I am referring to revision 2 from 1999:
    http://www.loreti.it/Download/PDF/laser/ilda99.zip

I appreciate that having the largest market share, whatever Pangolin chooses to do becomes a standard for projector manufacturers and hence users. However, I don't want the Pangolin standard to be confused with the ILDA standard, because the former clearly contravenes the latter on this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    It is my understanding that the intensity output is at high whenever a colour channel has any output.

It is possible to make the intensity signal behave like an analog signal. All you have to do is "train it" to work like that.
    When you open the Palette Setup wizard, just tell it you want to train it manually. Then you should be able to access the color channels individually. You might need to go to an Advanced menu and say something like "View additional color channels". You can then choose certain colors and move the Intensity slider to behave the way you want it to.

That's for Pangolin, but what about other controllers?

Adam

which other controllers

I would not buy easylase anymore :http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...50&postcount=7

lumax = Laserworld

Riya maybe?