Thread: PM importer for email clients

Default PM importer for email clients

Thought you all might like this. As 'Vets' a lot of us could use some PM organization and search capability.

Here is a method to import PMs into your local email client for easy searching and organization. It produces (or appends to) an email file in 'netscape mail' format that is used by Thunderbird, and Outlook can import it also. Just a quick job, not a lot of error checking but it seems to work fine. Remember to delete your PMs from your forum inbox after downloading them or they will be downloaded a second time when you run it again later.

In thunderbird, just point the output file location to your mail folder and choose a name. If you choose an existing mail file, it will append the new messages to it. Restart thunderbird and the messages will be loaded.

(Click)

Source code

With this and an email client, users can:

- instantly sort their PMs by sender, then date to find all PMs from a person, even offline
    - instantly sort their PMs by subject to follow the course of an old conversation
    - perform searches like (From contains Hallu*) AND (Body contains 'splain me)
    - keep an offline record of communications for GB organization purposes
    - unify offline email and PM storage in one location

Good stuff!

I never coded in AutoIt before, but it looks good... Thanx for the src download.

I usually just keep the e-mails I get for each PM and search those in my client

Thanx;
    DDL
    I suffer from the Dunning–Kruger effect... daily.

Hi, yeah Autoit, SciTe script editor, and Koda gui layout work together to provide a good platform for fast scripting when you just want to churn out a little util. Note this was built with AutoIt 3.2.7.4, sometimes they change function names between versions.

I was doing your method with email notifications initially, but liked the feature that this provides of having the email subject BE the subject, also the 'from' entry is the actual sender.

Ideally, someone would write a real Thunderbird plugin that would allow receiving and sending PMs right from the client, that would be slick.