Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Pangolin Quickshow for FB3 released!

I agree. Nothing livepro does is as powerful as the quicktimeline feature in qs.

We absolutely cannot wait for beyond
    Now proudly stocking and offering the best deals on laser-wave

www.lasershowparts.com
    http://stores.ebay.com.au/Lasershow-Parts

Default Re

Norty that is so true. I love live pro USB and used it every gig before QS came out but now I'm torn between the two as both are so good but in different ways. Live pro is truly amazing but so is QS.

One thing I will say though is I expressed my worries about this a while ago and I'm sure you said that it would never replace livepro for you. I may be wrong and it may have been someone else but if you can remember and it was yourself what do you suppose has changed your mind.

Ollie
    2 x 10w full colour laser systems
    2 x 4w full colour laser systems
    2 x 3w full colour laser systems
    1 450mw pinkem rgb 30k scanner
    2 x 1 watt green laser
    4 x 1 watt blue 445nm laser systems
    3 watt rgb .

One thing I will say though is I expressed my worries about this a while ago and I'm sure you said that it would never replace livepro for you. I may be wrong and it may have been someone else but if you can remember and it was yourself what do you suppose has changed your mind.
    I'm not sure anything has changed - QS still doesn't seem to be moving in the direction of control that I like in LP - and at the time there were a number of things in QS that simply didn't work (BAMs, midi mapping memory - all now subsequently 'fixed')

So its all down to UI for me - however what goes on under the hood is also a key point - QS is apparently better for your scanners (at least until users forced Pangolin to make changes they didn't want to do)

As with all of these things, Pangolin only has so many resources - and the demands from the FB3 owners have in a way ensured Pangolin has diverted a lot of resources to QS to keep them occupied - and I'm sure commercially its helping sell a lot more FB3's - certainly more than LP on its own, even if it did have all the bells and whistles.

Hi Norty,

Some things that happen aren't really meant that way from the very beginning. If we had progressed along the path we started, BEYOND would be out, but we would not have anything more than LiveQ for the FB3 and for, lets call it, the "mid-level market".

Around October of 2008 we realized that there was a whole market segment that wasn't being served by us at all, and wasn't being served very well by competitors either, so we put out BEYOND developments on hold, but build a product that we felt would best serve the mid-level market -- that product being QuickShow.

One year later we released QuickShow to the world, and it really took the market by storm. For the next 8 months, we could not make FB3 and QuickShow systems quickly enough to satisfy market demand.

We kept working on QS because there were some features we felt needed improving (for example, the timeline and DMX) and also some new ideas we had and that we wanted to bring out, once they were far enough along in the patent process (such as our new Virtual Laser Jockey which, when I make the video and show you all how it works, will absolutely amaze people).

We are just about to release a BETA of QuickShow 2.0. I'd like to release the final version, but Alexey just went on vacation so we'll release something that's almost finished and then release the final version in a week or so. The BETA will have the new workspace from Derek with tweaks from me. Lots more beam cues, more graphics, and everything has been fine-tuned. Plus a mini show thrown in just for good measure ;-)

I've verified performance of this version and this workspace on three separate projectors ($250 10K Chinese RGV projector, mid-level projector with rather ordinary scanners, and our high-end Kvant projector with Cambridge 6215) to make sure it looks absolutely as good as possible even when scanning full size. It's all looking very good and I am sure all of you will really love the new features, new workspace, and great level of performance.

From here we'll turn our attention back to the professional-level products and will resume our path on BEYOND development. Certain parts of BEYOND have continued to develop, even as Alexey, Valery, Ante and myself have worked mostly on QS for the past 8 months. Specifically our new 3D software which is now nearly 1 million lines of code and having a brand new user interface, which is also completely customizable by the user. The 3D software has been worked on extensively by Alex Stompel. Cathleen continues to work on our plug-ins for 3D Studio MAX and Cinema 4D as well.

As for old-looking user interface or face-lift or however you put it, we already made a newer experimental version of LivePRO and put it out to some people to test. As always, we appreciate feedback and anyone can contact us and ask for a new version.

Regarding the LD2000 software, the look of the user interface is a bit harder to change, but we are continuing to develop that as well and we'll have more shows available and some very interesting features as well.

Getting back to the main point, LivePRO and QuickShow are really two completely separate animals with vastly different live control philosophies. LivePRO is really for laser professionals who need space-shuttle-like controls but also requiring the training and skill of an astronaut to operate. QuickShow is for "everyone else". But in our observation, there are a lot more "everyone else" in the world than there are astronauts...

BEYOND will definitely strike a better balance -- being a possible upgrade path for QS-users, once the "everyone else"-level users gain some additional skills, but still not requiring the astronaut-level of expertise of LivePRO.

I suspect LivePRO will be around and be in use for a very long time. There are some things that it does, and some ways in which it operates that are not duplicated by any other software, whether written by us or anyone else.

Best regards,

William Benner

such as our new Virtual Laser Jockey
    Yeah, just spotted that in 217, but my Quickfx tab isn't showing so I could only get it to cue jump on the beat division... I guess its a more clever version of the cue jump to tempo in LP?

As for old-looking user interface or face-lift or however you put it, we already made a newer experimental version of LivePRO and put it out to some people to test. As always, we appreciate feedback and anyone can contact us and ask for a new version.
    I think i'm using it actually, is that the silver looking skin in the '700' package?