Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Pangolin Quickshow for FB3 released!

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    I was somewhat surprised to see the minimum PC specs for this as they seem quite high.
    Here's a funny story. A lady calls Pangolin and asks us about the minimum requirements to run our IMU software. There are none. So I tell her "there are none".

OK, during the conversation it comes out that she is a soccer mom. Unsophisticated computer user. Only thing she knows is that other products have "minimum requirements" and so therefore, it must be an important thing to ask. So she REALLY REALLY wants me to tell her the minimum requirements. Really, there are none...

I tell here "any PC that you can lay your hands on will work with IMU". But still that isn't good enough for her... In the end, she got so mad at us that she didn't buy our software. I think she believed we were trying to be evasive. But really -- IMU will work on any PC!!

So as a result of that "lesson", and also looking at brochures for other products, we figured we should list a "minimum requirement" of some kind.

Now, here's the deal. While working with clients recently and demonstrating QS, I installed QS on lots of PCs. Amazing vareity. QS ran on all of them.

My own PC is a P4 with only 512MB of memory. QS will indeed run on my PC but it is "tight"...

Yes, the previewing of those QuickFX does take up CPU time and you will notice a slowdown of responsiveness if you've got a "tight" PC.

And there is another factor. Although the workspace is only 100MB on disk, it expands to around 350MB in your computer's memory. My PC having only 512MB of memory -- again, is "tight".

So although QS will run on every PC we tried, we gotta list some minimum requirements -- if for no other reason, to appeas the soccer moms out there. And we've also got to have some kind of "headroom" so if someone starts complaining about "hey, these QuickFX make it choppy on my P4 computer" we can come back with "we told you so"...

We also plan on adding more to QS. More capabilities (which will require more CPU speed) and more real laser shows which, if we put them into the same workspace, is clearly going to take more memory. So we list a "minimum requirement" which is really greater than is needed today, just so we have some headroom for tomorrow.

These days I doubt you could even buy a computer without a dual-core processor and a gig of ram. I don't think that's an unreasonable requirement. So that's why we put it there.

Bill
    Last edited by Pangolin; 11-24-2009 at 15:58.

Thanks so much for this Bill, highly appreciated! Really glad you managed to get it out to us before Christmas & Newyear. Sterling effort

*EDIT*

I just had a play with QuickShow. My DT25's run totally silent now with QS? Fantastic! I just spent a while trying out the presets, everything looks as it should, in the past circles wouldn't display 100% with QS everything is drawn miles better, fantastic! I'll be having a play again tomorrow evening if its dry out. Now i'm really chuffed.

Am i right to say winamp can be used with this?
    Last edited by XysteR; 11-24-2009 at 20:08.

Morning All,
    Just a quick post to say thanks to Bill and the team for the realease of this! 56% downloaded so far, but know its gooding to be good!

Lex!

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    Doc, I may have found the limits of my machine. Does your output go choppy when you use QuickFX?
    Not that I noticed but I only played briefly.
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

I'm liking this a lot already!

Ta Pangolin!

Now get the Beyond realtime rendering engine over to LivePro

These days I doubt you could even buy a computer without a dual-core processor
    Exactly what I thought when I read the minimum specs...

Yep, to be fair I realised last night that Quickshow isn't a LivePro replacement yet - but then I don't think it's intended to be just yet either!

Certainly needs more time playing though to adapt way of working for a live environment.

Works like a charm on a FujitsuSiemens 9" tablet/laptop with touchscreen! (Look below for spec)
    Scanners seems to run more silent..

Quickshow on a:
    FujitsuSiemens P1510
    CPU: M 1.2 GHz
    Internal Memory512 MB
    Graphic CardIntel GMA 900
    Last edited by cruch; 11-27-2009 at 01:12.

Pangolin FB3 QS/LivePro/SMS2Laser
    Riya MultiBus
    Pangolin LD2000 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by JeroenVDV View Post
    And i want some features from LivePro over to QuickShow! lol

I had an interesting thought before. My galvos run so silent now, obviously due to them being operated in a much more efficient way. This means using Quickshow over LiveQuick is effectively prolonging the lifetime of our scanners mefinks?
    Last edited by XysteR; 11-25-2009 at 11:56.

Awesome! Just one question, does the LivePro winamp plugin still work with Quickshow? If it does, I have obviously forgotten how :P