Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: laser animation system help

thanks again.
    that very good deal does look v v good for the price. do u know if people have had positive reports from that unit and is it reliable

I don't know if anyone here has bought one. I have a laser that looks exactly like that one, but didn't come from this seller. It cost me $200 around a year ago, and is quite stable. I plan on trying one of these to find out if it is the same unit as mine.. if so, it's a good find.

The seller seems very good, and they have an extremely good return policy..
    Last edited by ElektroFreak; 12-14-2009 at 15:35.

That wouldn't be mains wiring going into the board in the top photo, would it?!! If so, it looks like you're a millimetre away from a short between live and earth, and there also seems to be some insulation missing from the live lead...

One of the things that you'll find on this forum is that all aspects of safety are taken very seriously, if you can't even get basic stuff like this done properly then you really should leave lasers well alone...

While that is some sloppy wiring, I don't share the alien's thoughts that you should ditch your whole interest in lasers. No need for such a harsh reply.. everyone's got to start somewhere. I'm sure that at some point in his life greenalien didn't have the same knowledge he has today..

Just watch that copper. If you see strands going every which way and it just looks sloppy, make sure you fix it. It can cause major problems, not the least of which is fire.

Here in the UK, mains power isn't that wimpy 110v stuff you have in the USA - it's 230 volts, and can (and does) kill people.

I'd rather put someone off an interest in lasers than have anyone injured. If the first thing that someone posts on the forum is an example of dangerous wiring, too right I'm going to get harsh. You need to have the right attitude to work with lasers or someone, somewhere will get hurt as a result of your actions. Posting a picture of unacceptably sloppy wiring is an indication of the wrong attitude. What's needed here is either a change of attitude or a different hobby. I rest my case. (and look forward to a new photo of the job redone properly ().

Given the fact that the OP isn't going to use that system, I don't see the point of making too big a deal out of it.. I'm sure he gets the message.

What are you expecting from someone's first post here? That they will be well versed in lasers, or even have the slightest clue about electronics or electricity? I think that's asking too much, frankly. They could be a guy with zero experience in either, but with a desire to learn. I won't be one to squash that over a picture of some sloppy wiring.

You make a good point, don't get me wrong. Sloppy wiring is dangerous, but I don't believe in putting anyone off from an interest because of a lack of initial knowledge or skill. You've got to start somewhere, and we all make mistakes.. even you I reckon.

No, I'm perfect....

yeah, me too, but we've got to consider everyone else..

Yup, just trying to make everyone else perfect too...

If you'll observe the OP, you'll see that its a set he bought on ebay which he's dug out again and noticed the broken mirror.

Fair play, warn him about the shonky wiring but to assume that he put it there in the first place (and rip in, it has to be said) may be a little wide ofthe mark