Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: FLEM 8 - let's try this again!

Well it *looks* like I'll be able to make this, though I probably wont arrive until friday night sometime. I'm very much looking forward a nice weekend with loud-ass music, fog machines and lasers, oh, and it's nice to see you guys again as well. Glad to see there will be some new folks.

Hi Jason! Welcome to PhotonLexicon.

If you're thinking about building your own projector, then FLEM is something you don't want to miss. You'll have a chance to see several different home-made designs, and you can talk with the folks that built them. Take a look under the hood, ask a lot of questions, and by the end of the day you'll have a much better idea about where to start. (You'll also get more free advice than you can probably digest safely! )

You'll also get a chance to meet some very cool people, watch some incredible laser shows, and in general just have a hell of a good time. We are a vary laid-back, casual group, and we don't stand on ceremony at all. We do play well with others, however, so rest assured you won't feel like an outsider. We're just a big group of friendly geeks, really. And as Aaron already mentioned, there is no charge to attend.

I should mention that some people will be drinking at the event. I hope you won't be offended by that... Don't worry - it's not a drunken bash or anything, but there will be alcohol there. On the other hand, if you're not afraid to kill a few brain cells, feel free to bring whatever beverage you enjoy. Just make sure you quit in time so you're OK to drive! There is a Holiday Inn Express across the street if people need to spend the night. Also, smoking is not allowed in the building, but there is a patio where you can smoke if you want to. (I'll probably have some cigars with me too, if anyone is interested...)

FLEM is held in Tavares, which is not that far from Altamonte Springs. (Figure an hour by car, tops.) If you need directions, have a look at the first post in this old thread for FLEM 5, which was held last year. The venue location hasn't changed. (We had 3 FLEM's last year, all at this location.)

Normally we all try to get together Friday afternoon to set up our gear in the venue. Then we all go out to dinner, and after that we come back to the venue for a little "pre-FLEM" laser fun. But the actual event normally starts on Saturday morning around 10 AM.

However, this time we'd like to try something new. There are several people who are interested in playing rock band and/or guitar hero, so we thought it would be cool to set up a video projector and hook a game console up to the awesome sound system we set up for these events. (3 amps, 4 speaker cabinets, and 3200 watts RMS of total output power!) So we're thinking about getting together Friday morning to play Rock Band and/or Guitar Hero during the day, before taking the projector down and setting up the lasers that afternoon. If you can make it for both days, that would be great, as we'll probably have lots of free time on Friday to talk shop. (Saturday may be more hectic just because of the large amount of equipment we'll have set up.)

So for this event, the gaming fun starts on Friday morning, March 5th, at 9 AM. We'll probably break for dinner around 6 or 7 in the evening, and we'll go back to the venue around 9 PM for some laser fun on Friday night. Saturday morning, March 6th, we'll get cranked up for FLEM proper, and that will probably run until midnight or later. (We're usually out of there by 2 am though.) You are welcome to attend for as much or as little of the event as you wish, either one day or both.

Also, I'll be in town at least 1 day early, so I'm thinking about getting together with a few local members in Orlando for drinks on Thursday night. If you're up for it, you're more than welcome to join us. More about these plans to follow as we get closer...

If you want to read up on past events, just look through the meet and greet sub-forum and check out the "FLEM" threads. Also, there is a larger, annual event called SELEM (South Eastern Laser Enthusiast's Meeting) which is held every August in North Carolina that you might want to look into. Basically it's the same thing as FLEM, but in a larger venue (500 seat auditorium) with lots more people. There are some videos on youtube that you can search for - they'll give you some idea of what you're in for. (Here's one that was shot at the last event.)

And again, welcome to PhotonLexicon. Hope you like it here... I'm sure you can get plenty of help should you decide to build your own projector. You are fortunate to have several experienced PL members living within a short drive from your area, and as a general rule, we enjoy helping new folks. So if you've got questions, ask away. But I would suggest that you hold off on buying anything until you've had a chance to see some of the projectors that will be set up at FLEM.

Adam

Adam,

Thank you for the invitation, and detailing the weekend at FLEM. I will surely mark it on my calender to attend. I own a small business so Fridays are late days for me, however Saturday will work great. I will see how it plays out. Im really excited to come, it will be me and my (lil cutie) girlfriend attending. I have lots of questions on my mind. Being new, I'm still trying to grasp the fact a gavo can move more than 30k times a second!! Thats incredible.

To be honest with you, Ive only seen a green laser at an Epcot firework show, never have I seen a blue or purple. I have a degree in electrical engineering and have made up some really neat electronics devices over the years so putting together a laser scanner shouldn't be too difficult. I have an idea of what I need to build a decent projector, im very hesitant in buying anything overseas, I just don't know who to trust. I'm sure you guys have very reputable company's you purchase from. Again I'm excited to learn and meet fellow laser enthusiasts. My dad passed away 2 months ago, we have always done projects together. I think he would have been amazed at the mechanics of a laser projector. I will see you in a little over a month.

Take care, Jason

BTW,

Join Date Jan 2006
    Location Charleston, SC
    Posts 2,147,483,773

Thats funny !!

Hehe... Little inside joke there. Details in this thread if you're interested. (The real number should be something around 7000 I think.)

Adam

Hey, if your goiny to meet Thursday night for drinks, I'm in !!

When and Where?

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Lazerjock View Post
    Hey, if your goiny to meet Thursday night for drinks, I'm in !!

When and Where?

Chris
    Bummer you're not making it this time around man...

I'll keep you posted as that happens. It's likely to be around the theme parks' area from what I last heard... Adam? Did you have anything in mind?

--DDL
    I suffer from the Dunning–Kruger effect... daily.

Im good to go !!!
    " MANUFACTURER OF HIGH QUALITY MICRO LASER COMPONENTS" !!
    http://www.microlaserlabs.com/

I don't have anything firm yet. Paul just wanted to get together for a few drinks and some conversation. Last time we went to this little Irish Pub near Universal drive, but this time we might go to City Walk. Though really, it would probably be better if we went to a small, quiet bar (if such a place exists in Orlando) so we can chat. Kinda hard to talk when they're doing karaoke, right?

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by mophead View Post
    We're in the process of buying a house AND have to be out of our current residence by 4/1. Having said that, I'll call it a very dim maybe.

Sorry guys, I'm out this round.

Something tells me we'll be moving/closing/hectic about that time.

BUT!!!!

House we might be getting has me some work space .