Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: laser Harp V2 open and free

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    Is that plug and play ready?
    That's basically the idea. I'm unsure about a project box and the interface for the sensors though. Can someone enlighten me on how the sensors are usually done?

Quote Originally Posted by 300EVIL View Post
    Yeah, and my eye loop. This board is mostly SMD. Well, I can do it but I need more info on the kit to get you guys a firm price and what is all included for my end. I'm thinking (but don't hold me to it) somewhere around $100 assembled and tested plus parts, plus shipping both ways. I guess I'd have to source the parts too. LCD and Micro Arduino being the most expensive components, around $30 each. Price would also be determined on the number of kits I do based on weather I flow them in a toaster oven or hand solder.

Is there anyone else interested in having me build these?

Here are some pics of my work. Sorry, no pics of SMD work.
    At that price I am all for YOU soldering! I think an option with a case or without would be fine...

I do have another idea to make a laser harp more simple involving Ronchi Rulings or a grating rather than scanning a beam. That is another project, with the Arduino code and sensors, no complaints at all on the design at all. I thought I would get the idea I have had for awhile out in the open.

-Adam

-Adam
    Last edited by sugeek; 01-17-2010 at 06:40.
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

Quote Originally Posted by sugeek View Post
    At that price I am all for YOU soldering! I think an option with a case or without would be fine... I do have another idea to make a laser harp more simple involving Ronchi Rulings or a grating rather than scanning a beam. That is another project, with the Arduino code and sensors, no complaints at all on the design at all. I thought I would get the idea I have had for awhile out in the open.

-Adam

-Adam
    Using a grating would simplify things, I like that idea. However, I think it's cooler to have it be a scanned beam for effects and color. also, your package is on the way USPS 0309 1830 0001 6180 5191

Quote Originally Posted by 300EVIL View Post
    Using a grating would simplify things, I like that idea. However, I think it's cooler to have it be a scanned beam for effects and color.
    Correct, no problem at all with having all of those features in my book. With all the options available it doesn't hurt to have unused features. I will be using the scanning option first, but there is always time to play later. Thank You for the tracking number.

-Adam
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

hi all
    don't worry about the box because i've made the routing using a box from Hammond Manufacturing available at radiospares.

the two boards fit exactly inside (normally )
    the first step was to create the "component" for the box. after you have the exact dimension of the board and you can place all the components.
    technical datas about the box are available here:
    http://www.hammondmfg.com/dwg6.htm
    1599HBK model
    http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf/1599H.pdf

about the sensor i've added a connector with supply rails and detection input.
    you can design different sensors because i've added an identification system to tell which sensor is used.

i allready have a sensor but i think to work on another system with "closed frame"

for the boards i can ask to my PCB supplier(Utopia electronics) the price for a complete assembly or only with passive components because he make good prices

about the grating system yes that works but you can't choose the number of strings and you can't choose the color.
    Last edited by Genesis; 01-16-2010 at 03:19.

Quote Originally Posted by sugeek View Post
    At that price I am all for YOU soldering! I think an option with a case or without would be fine... I do have another idea to make a laser harp more simple involving Ronchi Rulings or a grating rather than scanning a beam. That is another project, with the Arduino code and sensors, no complaints at all on the design at all. I thought I would get the idea I have had for awhile out in the open.

-Adam

-Adam
    Hi people.

The first harp that i built used a grating and I found that the power of the laser was not equally spread across the fan of beams after the grating and the overall power loss was a lot as well. Plus how would you get a single sensor to work out which beam you have broken? The harp I built had a Light dependent resistor for each beam in a overhead cross bar.

For me the V1 harp would be perfect for my needs as it looks to be just like the one that Jarre is using on his stage.
    Dose the V1 harp open and close?
    How do you asign a Key / Note to each of the beams and is it easy / quick to change the note to beam asignment?

Carl

the V1 one use obsolete parts now and the best way is to use the new one.
    to assign a note like in the videos you needs to play a note to the harp and play the note to a master kayboard like synthetiser or midi software keyboard.
    the harp microcontroller receive the midi note and store the value in eeprom

the V1 is only a open frame.

for the V2 closed frame mode i think to use an acrylic tube used in "light pipe" mode with a single ptotodiode at the end. the beams are received along the tube and collected by the photodiode
    in this mode the harp is surely less sensitive to ambiant light.

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
    hi all
    don't worry about the box because i've made the routing using a box from Hammond Manufacturing available at radiospares.
    Ah, I figured that was the "case" with the way you had the board notched out. Any chance you can post the parts list so I can work out cost?

for the V2 closed frame mode i think to use an acrylic tube used in "light pipe" mode with a single ptotodiode at the end. the beams are received along the tube and collected by the photodiode
    Cool! So only one PD. I'm guessing each beam is modulated so the harp board knows which beam is blocked. Very nice!

I think you miss understood what I ment. I was meaning do the beams open and close like a fan from a single beam?

Carl

sorry i don't understand what you say.
    perhaps you are talking about the opening and closing the harp from one beam?