Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Scan Pro 40

If the laser output icon is off, there should be no output whatsoever, galvos or lasers.. That means no scope image. The laser output must have been on. You should be able to set the sound card to 2ch and see only X and Y, yes, but I haven't tried it personally. It should help us narrow things down, though.

I have tried to set it to 2 ch mode. I then ran it on the Oscilliscope with the same results.

Next I completely disconnected the laser inputs on the correction amp. SO only the 5v , G , x , y and G were connected. Same results.

I'm not sure where to go next. I super examined the correction amp again and still cant find anything out of place.

My next idea would be to send the correction to Dr. Lava. IF he accepted, he could just swap it out with one of his. Then I could know if its the sound card or the correction amp. I'm going to send him a PM.

If for some reason that doesn't work, I can look into it for you if you send it to me.

Hi Austin, thank you for pointing me to this thread in PM. On your first question, with 5mm mirrors at 45 degrees your input beam can be no larger than 5mm/sqrt(2) in diameter before losses over the edges. This width requirement decreases further when you consider that the apparent width of the mirror decreases as the mirror rotates closer to match the plane of the laser beam during scanning. You can calculate the maximum beamwidth requirement using the formula

BeamWidth <= MirrorWidth * cos(45+ScanAngle/4)

To me, your latest problem appears to be setup of the Cmedia sound card driver. When it is not in 6 or 8 channel mode, the other channels mix down onto the X/Y channels and you see the blanking signals added on to the galvo signals. This is why the square is furthest in the upper right - the lasers are full on while it is being drawn. Where the lasers are blanked, that is when you see the bottom leftmost points.
    In the cmedia setup from the control panel, or by double clicking the note icon in the task bar, select 8 channel mode. If you don't see the note icon in the task bar, it's likely your drivers are not properly installed. Another thing - there are a few ground pins on the input of the correction board, each of these should have a wire to the sound card ground.
    Last edited by drlava; 01-28-2010 at 11:27.

Well I did have it in 6 channel mode, but not 8 channel mode. I tested all 6 channels and dialed them in to 0v and 5v. You think I should try and hook it back up in the 8 channel mode?

BTW: I probably all ready received the FET for the Flexmods, but I haven't been to the post office to pick up the package yet.

Yes, 8 channel mode is the best, when available. It wasn't available on my Win2K machine but 6 channel worked fine then.

What OS are you running
    What is the name of the sound card you have sleected in Spaghetti
    What are the names of the sound cards in the list
    Are all grounds (at least the widest spaced two) on the input of the correction amp wired to the sound card

Help me.. help you

As the scanners were pulled working from a system, I didn't think it was the scanners.

The oscilloscope never lies ( well not usually )
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Windows Vista
    In Spaghetti it is listed as EZ AUD DAC or something very similar.
    I have disabled all other sound cards in windows, the EZ AUD is the only one that appears spaghetti.
    The two grounds that are furthest apart are both connected. There is one ground not connected but it is linked directly to the ground next to it so there is no point.

Hopefully changing to the 8 channel will fix my issue. This is the only thing I never tried so I think it might be the ticket.

And Yes Dave, I do believe the Scanners are working fine as they display exactly what the CRO does.

Ok, EZ AUD DAC is not a sound card name. You should not disable other sound cards in Windows, the way you select the right sound card in Spaghetti for laser output is via the More.. button in the hardware configurator. This is important because you want your regular audio sound card to be the default windows playback device.

Okay I'll let you know how I have it setup later when I have my laptop. Its at home and I'm at work till super late tonight.
    I think I have it setup right but I had plenty of problems with the drivers in the original setup. I diasbled my onboard sound card as a trouble shooting setup. Believe it or not it took me 4 hours to get 6 channel output on the card even before getting it setup in spaghetti.
    Windows decided to install its default drivers which weren't worth a crap and wouldn't let me change them. I finally got the C-media driver installed and used the application thats in the control panel (usb multi channle audio setup) to change it to 6 channel mode. I was changing the sound card to 6 channel mode in the Windows audio setup and that wasn't changing anything which was confusing.