Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Scan Pro 40

Yeah, it's bad that windows installs its own crappy drivers automatically if you plug the card in before installing the right drivers. I think things are even trickier in Vista because it's 'better' than XP and who knows about Win 7 but Gary did get it working on his rig so it can be done on Vista.

(This is just rambling, contains no useful information, just so I don't waste your time)
    Oh its just that Vista is intent on messing with you. I did install the cmedia drivers first, but Windows decided that its were better. Also, it decided after plugging the sound card in and out a few times that it decided it would switch back to the windows drivers for no reason. I all ready had the cmedia drivers working for weeks and when I hooked it up to the CRO it reverted just to mess with me and have to spend an hour trouble shooting.

I'm pretty good with basic computer stuff as I used to do manage a local computer shop(4 years ago). But with each new version of Windows making it "easier" for the end user. It becomes harder and harder for me to figure it out. I would be happy with Win2k if it ran the software I needed it to.

For some reason in Vista I get an issue where when I stop the laser output I get a static beam instead of blanking. Regular blanking in frames works perfectly, it's only when I hit pause, stop or the laser off button.. and only in Vista.. drives me nuts. I also don't like the interface included with the cmedia Vista drivers.

I think this was one of the first problems I had with my sound card DAC too, although on XP. The drivers install with 2 channel mode as default.

Default F the drivers

I'm pretty sure this is all a driver related issue.

I finally got the sound card to project the pattern without the "rouge" points. This was achieved by turning it to 8 ch mode like Andrew suggested and I should have tried in the first place.

There is still some distortion is the image though. The square looks jagged, wavy, and the image jitters a bit.

I made the square look better (the lines less jagged) by changing the room environment in the sound card setting. There are a bunch of options and effects in the sound card options menu( the cmedia application with a system tray icon). I would assue theses effects are messing with the image and I would want to turn them all off.

I tried to change sound card drivers to see if there was a different version that worked better. After changing drivers however it seem they were about the same. Now the damn sound card wont go back into 8 channel mode and the "rouge" points are back!

Does anyone have a copy of the c-media driver they are using so I can try it? Or does anyone have anymore suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ilda at 30k in normal room environment.jpg  

ilda B at 30k in normal room.jpg  

ilda at 20k in normal room environment.jpg  

ilda at 30k  in large room environment.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by MisterWilling View Post
    I would assue theses effects are messing with the image and I would want to turn them all off.
    Absolutely imperative!
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Yes but in the options dialog box for the sound card it only has the options of choosing between the effects.
    I cant figure out how to just turn them off. There are two things I think are interfering, the "virtual room environment" and the room size. I only have the option to set the room environment to generic with no where to disable it. And the same goes for the room size, I can set it to small, medium, or large, but I cant just turn it off.

This is how my effects are set. I think that pressing a selected button again deselects it.

Looks to be fixed. I will be posting pics in a few. A different version of the driver was the answer to all my woes.

glad to hear it! Were the drivers that came with the card the culprit? Which version worked best for you?