Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Scan Pro 40

Quote Originally Posted by MisterWilling View Post
    Good Idea I will try the swap thing. I didn't think of that since they are matched to each other but I guess it wont hurt to just swap and check.
    It shouldn't hurt. It will indeed be out of tune, if it's too far out of tune it may oscillate, you'll hear a high pitched whine, just unplug it if it happens. This will certainly narrow things down a good bit.

I put the soundcard DAC on the o-scope and made sure it was tuned to 0v and 5v. The output looked like a smooth line.
    That's exactly how it should be.. I'm curious to see the results of the swap.

Default Hmm

1st off, thanks for the quick replies.

Okay after the swap the problem stays with the amp. So now I have to figure out what is wrong with the amp.

Are the galvos supposed to lock into a position like that with no signal? I would assume the amp that is does not cause the galvo to lock would be the "broken" one.

I examined the amp and can't find anything visually wrong with it. I wonder if it is the amp that I was using for measurements, because that amp was handled quite a bit.

I'm not sure if its worth fixing or not because I don't know what it would take to fix it.

Also, could someone please answer my questions about the amount of light you can get onto scanner mirrors?

Default Curious

Okay I did some more examination and found that one amp had a jumper that the other one didn't.

Its not the inversion jumpers listed in the manual (J1 and J2). Its J5, which isn't listed in the manual so I don't know what it does.

Just for kicks though, I jumped it and it made the galvo lock into position just like the other galvo!

So now I wonder if I knocked that jumper off somehow, but honestly I don't know crap. I hope that I did and this fixes the problem. I would like some more input though, before I hook a signal input back into amps. I don't want to mess anything else up!

-Austin

Lightbulb

And some video...
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Are the galvos supposed to lock into a position like that with no signal?
    Yes! That is exactly how they work, the amp will push whatever current required to keep that mirror right where it is until you tell it (by way of input signal) to move somewhere else.

Glad to see you found the problem, one of the problems. Are you still not getting much movement?

Heres my current guess at placement of the galvos.

And a pic of the once missing J5

Sorry for the iphone pics, I don't have my camera.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails j5.jpg  

galvo.jpg  

Okay I did some more examination and found that one amp had a jumper that the other one didn't.

Its not the inversion jumpers listed in the manual (J1 and J2). Its J5, which isn't listed in the manual so I don't know what it does.

Just for kicks though, I jumped it and it made the galvo lock into position just like the other galvo!

So now I wonder if I knocked that jumper off somehow, but honestly I don't know crap. I hope that I did and this fixes the problem. I would like some more input though, before I hook a signal input back into amps. I don't want to mess anything else up!

-Austin
    J5 disconnects the amp from the galvo coil. its usually used for testing hence its not listed in the manual. looks like you found the problem
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    Glad to see you found the problem, one of the problems. Are you still not getting much movement?
    I think I ripped the jumper off of the amp by pulling it out of the anti static bag to many times.

Some, When I hook the amps up and send the ILDA test image through spaghetti, I get one of the galvos moving a little ( it looks like a few degrees) but the other Galvo isn't moving at all. The Galvo that is moving sounds about like scratching a knife on glass, noise but too loud.

This is back to where I was in square one at least. Both the x and Y channels are measuring 1.7V and the signal output from the soundcard DAC.

Well as I was typing this message it looks like I got it all figured out. Turns out it was just a faulty connection on the input. I get a completely different noise out of 10kpps and 20kpps, I can also see the mirrors shift very slightly as I change the angle. The rotors were not mounted to a heatsink and got warm after a minute or two so I decided to stop messing with it. So now all I have to do is finish my baseplate. Then I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions.

Is this how I want my lasers to enter the galvo block? http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...998#post123998

Can you display a test frame? It sounds like the galvos are working, but it's impossible to know for sure without seeing an image on the wall

I think I ripped the jumper off of the amp by pulling it out of the anti static bag to many times.

Some, When I hook the amps up and send the ILDA test image through spaghetti, I get one of the galvos moving a little ( it looks like a few degrees) but the other Galvo isn't moving at all. The Galvo that is moving sounds about like scratching a knife on glass, noise but too loud.

This is back to where I was in square one at least. Both the x and Y channels are measuring 1.7V and the signal output from the soundcard DAC.

Well as I was typing this message it looks like I got it all figured out. Turns out it was just a faulty connection on the input. I get a completely different noise out of 10kpps and 20kpps, I can also see the mirrors shift very slightly as I change the angle. The rotors were not mounted to a heatsink and got warm after a minute or two so I decided to stop messing with it. So now all I have to do is finish my baseplate. Then I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions.

Is this how I want my lasers to enter the galvo block? http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...998#post123998