Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uniphase 2214 Argon Not Lasing...

Default Uniphase 2214 Argon Not Lasing...

I just acquired a 2214-25MLUP argon head and a 2114B-30SLT power supply. I'm guessing the "UP" in the head number means un-polarized?

Anyway, I powered up the head today. It lights on the first pulse and makes plasma but will not lase. I have pins 1 and 3, 2 and 13 jumpered but it appears to be running at idle. This is a guess because the plasma glow looks dim and is not generating that much heat. also, I'd imagine if it was low pressure, the tube would be hard to start. I doubt the mirrors would have been knocked out of place since it's a sealed cavity.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks!
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by 300EVIL View Post
    I just acquired a 2214-25MLUP argon head and a 2114B-30SLT power supply. I'm guessing the "UP" in the head number means un-polarized?

Anyway, I powered up the head today. It lights on the first pulse and makes plasma but will not lase. I have pins 1 and 3, 2 and 13 jumpered but it appears to be running at idle. This is a guess because the plasma glow looks dim and is not generating that much heat. also, I'd imagine if it was low pressure, the tube would be hard to start. I doubt the mirrors would have been knocked out of place since it's a sealed cavity.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks!
    Adam
    Who did you get it from? A guy on LPF had the same problem ... Pretty sure it was a similar tube anyway.

IIRC the UP is to specify which company ordered the head or something along those lines.

The mirrors could be out of whack ... but it's hard to do on those sealed tubes.

Quote Originally Posted by Diachi View Post
    Who did you get it from? A guy on LPF had the same problem ... Pretty sure it was a similar tube anyway.

IIRC the UP is to specify which company ordered the head or something along those lines.

The mirrors could be out of whack ... but it's hard to do on those sealed tubes.
    Hey Adam,
    I got it at the hamfest last week. It could be the mirrors are out of wack though I'd imagine that's pretty hard for these heads.

Also, I checked the cathode filament from the rear mirror and it's not sagging into the bore path.

Anything else I should try or is it dead?

Have you got the shutter open?? Wouldn't be the first time I've seen that happen (Done it myself). The cathode on those JDSU tubes is solid, little chance of damage. Give the mirrors a poke with an insulated rod Of some sort (wood dowel is good if it's dry, I've uses a plastic tube from a pen too) while it's running If you can. See if you can get a flash of light out of it. But as you've said it isn't easy to knock one of them out of whack.

If it have been sitting unused for a long time you may been to hit it with a tesla coil to bring it back to life as the pressure tend to increase when argons sit for long periods of time.

I got an argon tube today and the seller told me the above to get it going.

Quote Originally Posted by Experimentonomen View Post
    If it have been sitting unused for a long time you may been to hit it with a tesla coil to bring it back to life as the pressure tend to increase when argons sit for long periods of time.

I got an argon tube today and the seller told me the above to get it going.

It wouldn't start if this were the case, however once it's running the effect on lasing shouldn't be too high.

As I said, try the shutter If that's not it then lightly press on the side of the mirrors with an insulated prodder of some sort while it's running. This changes the position of the mirrors slightly so you can try and get a flash of light this way, then if you do you'll know that you need to align them. For this you need to push with more force so that the change stays. I'm not sure if you would need to slacken the locking nut or not ...

Quote Originally Posted by Diachi View Post
    It wouldn't start if this were the case, however once it's running the effect on lasing shouldn't be too high.

As I said, try the shutter If that's not it then lightly press on the side of the mirrors with an insulated prodder of some sort while it's running. This changes the position of the mirrors slightly so you can try and get a flash of light this way, then if you do you'll know that you need to align them. For this you need to push with more force so that the change stays. I'm not sure if you would need to slacken the locking nut or not ...

LOL! Yeah, the shutter is open. I get a nice non-coherent pinkish-blue glow out of the front of the head. I guess the only answer is that the mirrors are knocked out of alignment. Even at idle it should be making a couple milliwatts. Also, there is no locking collars on this tube. I guess I'll try poking at the mirrors but I have my doubts.

Sounds like an alignment issue to me (if it's not the shutter), there is a pinout for the PSU available on Sam's FAQ and see about turning up the current. If the tube is dead due to gas fill problems then it probably won't be able to sustain discharge at higher currents (tube winks out)

And now I feel silly cause I never knew there was a shutter built into the top of the head *goes to close the shutters on his two Uniphase argons in the closet*

Hey ... it doesn't have locking collars? It certainly should - that may be your problem.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cu-end1.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	13721

Should look like that.

My Uniphase 2214 lasers don't have locking collars
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG0379.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	13725