Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mamba Black Copy and the Chinese

I was told from the programmer itself (who program Mamba) that the pirate SW is infected..
    And it have losses of functions, and no updates whatsoever !

And btw, why are you still discussing about if there is virus or not ??
    Are someone REALLY consider USING IT ??

hrmmpf....

Shame on you !!!

Quote Originally Posted by liteglow View Post
    I was told from the programmer itself (who program Mamba) that the pirate SW is infected..
    And it have losses of functions, and no updates whatsoever !

And btw, why are you still discussing about if there is virus or not ??
    Are someone REALLY consider USING IT ??

hrmmpf....

Shame on you !!!

I doubt anyone on PL here would use it, but people that don't know about this stuff could buy it. in which case they would be using illegal software. Not sure if that would effect them if it came to that, but it's better not to sell it to start with.

I don't think anyone here will be interested in it.. But I think what people are interested is.
    Is there a lie to cover the lie. Do people purposely lie to discourage people. Or there is a virus. Until the name of the virus or what it does will be revealed I'm not so convinced.

I have a very strange suspicion that our LED controlling software is calling home. It's fully legit 50K$ installation. But I have a very strange feeling..... I know there is a remote function for engineers to fix things. But why it's calling home.?!?! Check for updates?!?.. auto update is disabled!! Chinese government global conspiracy?!..
    And why so many softwares calling home?!?
    I hired an Italian guy to do my wires. Now they look like spaghetti!

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Laser View Post
    But I think what people are interested is.
    Is there a lie to cover the lie.
    What people? Who thinks there is a lie? And who is lying? Who, exactly are you speaking for?

Wake up already... This has been discussed ad nauseum on the ILDA list. Don't believe me? Then do some research for yourself instead of simply hurling baseless accusations. Because you are seriously pissing me off by accusing me of lying about this, especially when you haven't done any research on your own.

Healthy skepticism is one thing, but there are several first-hand accounts of this problem that have been published publicly. Pull your head out of the sand already. This is real.
    Do people purposely lie to discourage people. Or there is a virus.
    So you're telling me that you don't trust Medialas to tell the truth, you don't trust Patrick Murphy (who has commented about this on the ILDA list) to tell the truth, and you don't trust me to tell the truth? In that case, you're not just being skeptical, you're an asshole.

Fine... I challenge you to put your money where your mouth is. Go buy a copy of this software on E-bay and try it for yourself.
    I have a very strange suspicion that our LED controlling software is calling home. It's fully legit 50K$ installation. But I have a very strange feeling..
    Oh give me a break! If you have a "strange feeling", then load the damn software into a vitual machine environment and WATCH WHAT IT DOES! Jesus man, are you stupid or what? It's easy enough to test it and see if it's doing something it shouldn't.

But just because you don't know how to test your software (or are too lazy to do it) doesn't give you free reign to accuse others of lying about a legitimate problem with this pirated version of Mamba Black.

Adam

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Because many(NOT ALL)programmers like back doors and have no morals.
    Also many people hire contract or mercenary programmers and they leave back doors and the folks that hire them don't know.
    Knowledge is power and many people would use any "intelligence" they could gather this way, and some of them may just like surfing other people's hard drives.

I think many programmers are kids that never grow up. Your system, when back doored, becomes one more thing for their mental ego "empire".

And then there is Mr Gates, a whole different enchalada.

Look, older Mamba demo versions like a momba lite I had, well, if you clicked on the right screen, suddenly became partially functional without a serial number. And they were buggy. I found it by accident before buying my old copy of lite, So if you have a virtual environment where you can monitor variables, and unlimited low cost Chinese labor with time to play, you just found a back door from that bug. All you would then have to do is hack the declare statement for that variable to true or something like that.
    Then once you have that, find a splash screen or some other consistant function and add a call to your virus code there.

I'm no windows programmer, I do not and would not have the tools and knowledge to do it, but I imagine it would be that simple.

remember many governments, including China, ordered microsoft to give them the source code to Windows, this means they know about any internal debugging tools or back doors, and you know that data had to leak.

There may even be multiple versions out there, some hacked, some viral, some combination of both.

You never can tell with programmers, what they will do.

For the record, I never told anybody before now about that little bug, and I registered two legit copies. Pretty much a waste of 175$ as light was not in the upgrade path

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 05-11-2009 at 06:10.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

WOW.. Buffo Bravo..you showed your real face now. Did I ever insulted you or your views.? Did I ever called you names.? No I didn't. Everything I asked for are the specs and the name of the virus that could be on that disk. Why the hell I need to go and buy it for myself.? Whos going to pay for it? You?..
    And why should I trust a troll and a funboy? Still remember how you jumped into any topics to defend Pangolin honer. You should be a Bible school teacher or a preacher or Laser crusader. "How you can question the word of GOD" I'm looking for a facts and not a faith. Words means nothing without technical data. Like I said I'll not go low start calling your names. Because it's very very amateurish and not professional. I have no time for that.

Mixedgas Thanks. I'm working with many Chinese products. (Some people find Martin products too expensive) There are a lot of infections because their computer is infected and they don't know. I was in China and visited a few factories. Man after what I saw I can believe anything. I used to do Assembly programming HEX debugging and know how to call functions. You can call from anywhere actually if you know what you're doing. Anyways. I had about 3 discs from China that were infected with viruses. Turns out their computer which made those disks was infected. Ohh 99% of their own software is Pirated.

Did I ever called you names.? No I didn't.
    I consider being called a liar, being accused of spreading ghost stories, and providing false information to the forum to be name-calling. Perhaps you have a different term for it, but the result is the same.
    And why should I trust a troll and a funboy?
    You're calling *me* a troll? On what grounds? I pass on useful information and you call me a liar for it. How does that make *me* a troll?
    I'm looking for a facts and not a faith. Words means nothing without technical data.
    I gave you all the data I have. I also pointed you in the direction of further support. Did you even bother to look at the ILDA list? Ahh... Didn't even bother, did you? Then why are you still here arguing with me?
    Like I said I'll not go low start calling your names.
    Really? What would you call this then:
    why should I trust a troll and a funboy
    I can only assume you meant "fanboy", but nevertheless, that sure sounds like you're calling me names...

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Because many(NOT ALL)programmers like back doors and have no morals.
    Also many people hire contract or mercenary programmers and they leave back doors and the folks that hire them don't know.
    Knowledge is power and many people would use any "intelligence" they could gather this way, and some of them may just like surfing other people's hard drives.

I think many programmers are kids that never grow up. Your system, when back doored, becomes one more thing for their mental ego "empire".
    Ouch! So how did you get such a poor opinion of programmers?

To you and Dr Laser, you can run a bidirectional firewall like the free sygate personal firewall that will ask your permission before allowing programs to contact the internet. Then you will know what soft is 'phoning home' and where 'home' is. You can also block or allow it permanently so it will never ask again. Highly recommended for XP, instead of the default XP firewall.

i gotta agree with adam on this one....
    (minus the arguments )

i dont understand whenever things like this come up it some how or another ALWAYS comes down to some sort of a conspiracy theory??

it is/was EXTREMELY well documented and researched and covered in NUMEROUS forums and groups that this software was infested with something. i dont know specifics of names or dates or or threads or trojans or malware or doodads or woohoos or flux capacitors this or processor strings that...

it was cracked software with a trojan in it. PLAIN AND SIMPLE.

why does it seem to always come down to "the man trying to bring the small hobbyist down!?!?"

seems like whenever something like this comes up or some sort of a sotware issue arises its ALWAYS about pangolin and ILDA conspiring against everyone/everything else.

dr laser...
    i applaud some of your questioning, but ya did kinda get carried away with your accusations and degrees of "questioning intentions." ESPECIALLY toward adam, who probably helps and supports more threads and people here than the rest of us combined. maybe your a sarcastic SOB like me i dont know, but sometimes that is VERY hard to detect over typed words on a screen. im sure you didnt mean to personally attack him the way that it came across (well, i hope not anyway).

this software is INFESTED. plain and simple. i dont think hundreds of people got together in some round room and decided to come up with a conspiracy theory about some pirated chinese software that moves laser beams around.

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems