Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: DHOM 532nm TEC setup appears to be totally Kaput!

Default knee

What I mean is that as you increase power there is a point where the laser suddenly drops in power and then recovers a little bit later on. It is a small area where the laser losses power. There is a device made by the same greek company that makes eyemagic scanners that can correct for this. It is $800.00 so I never bothered. I just use a laser big enough that I have the power I want below the lasers knee. For me 500mw is a lot of green. I only have 1watt blue and 800mw red so I use maybe 200mw-300mw of green max. In my living room that is a lot of power. Heck I remember when I only had 125mw total from my argon and 35mw from my hene on a pcaom. So no complaints from me. I must say gas lasers and a pcaom made for a lot better beam quality. I still miss perfectly aligned colors and no color tails of any kind. You could also go for an AOM and not worry about it at all.

If you recently purchased it as you say I suggest sending it back. One of my first 800mW lasers (from Lambdapro) had a similar problem. I send it back and the report I received stated that the TEC came loose during shipment. They repaired it and covered shipping.

I have a DHOM which gives a very stable 1700mW. Seems to be a nicly build laser. These mishaps happen(especially with dpss technology). I reckon sending it back and not void your warrenty by opening it.

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    What I mean is that as you increase power there is a point where the laser suddenly drops in power and then recovers a little bit later on. It is a small area where the laser losses power. There is a device made by the same greek company that makes eyemagic scanners that can correct for this. It is $800.00 so I never bothered.
    OK so we are talking about modulation linearity. Not my problem yet unfortunately..... but if it was, I think I would make something myself, rather than dish out 800$.

Thanks for the info though!

@blrock = Warranty still uncertain since laser was purchased second hand, and any shipment back to China would have to run the Spanish customs gauntlet yet again ......which took almost a month the first time round since it arrived just before Semana Santa (Easter) !

Prefer to fix it myself if possible. since I also prefer to know all the details about how my lasers work.

Cheers

It would appear that this laser IS still under warranty!

So with a bit of luck and some help from Marc and Shawn I might be able to get this sorted soon.

Marc has had strange DPSS laser failures caused by slight knocks let alone international shipping so there is a lot more to this situation then meets the eye.

It might be down to DHOM using a single TEC for both pump and SHG.

Full power plot and temperature data now logged but I don't know how to post it here. If anyone is interested just post instructions as to how I post the excel files concerned.

I will update the thread as things move forward.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by catalanjo View Post
    Full power plot and temperature data now logged but I don't know how to post it here. If anyone is interested just post instructions as to how I post the excel files concerned.

I will update the thread as things move forward.

Cheers
    Two ways... 1) Take a screen shot of it and post the image file. 2) Change the excel file extension from .xls (or whatever form it is) to .txt or .jpg to trick the file attachment filter to let you upload it.

-Adam
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

Quote Originally Posted by sugeek View Post
    Two ways... 1) Take a screen shot of it and post the image file. 2) Change the excel file extension from .xls (or whatever form it is) to .txt or .jpg to trick the file attachment filter to let you upload it.

-Adam
    Thanks mate I will try to do this tonight when I have more time.

Cheers

Update !
    Seller has kindly offered to organise a "return under warranty" but I am really worried about what happens in Customs when the laser comes back from China to Spain.

Anyone got any ideas concerning this problem ?

Data plots of power output will have to wait till tomorrow since I am on a friends computer right now!

Cheers

Update!

Seller has offered full refund if I want to return the laser which is incredibly generous since he is fully aware that it is unusable.
    Cheers Jeff

However since I do not think he is to blame in any way I do not want to dump the problem back in his lap!

I still have no further info on the umbilical plug wiring so clear diagnostic of exact fault is not available as yet.
    Any info regarding this will be gratefully accepted.

Tried uploading jpeg using the "File Upload Manager" with no success. Maybe due to Win98 Op sys.

Will try tomorrow using XP

Cheers

Lightbulb

Have you ordered a laser from China before? A lab module should have no problem as they usually don't in the US.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Yes but shipments always passed under the radar due to low value.... in this case I am terrified of Spanish Customs hassles on return shipment since they will probably declare full value for insurance purposes.

That is why I would prefer to check that this is absolutely necessary before shipping laser back to China.

If it turns out to be an electronics issue in the PSU then it may be better to fix it here, but for that I need the info about what to measure and where to measure it.

Just occurred to me that I am running at 220VAC whereas in USA it was running at 110vac.
    According to label on PSU it should accept from 100 to 250VAC and there is no sign of a commuter inside so next test will be using 110 as soon as I lay my hands on a suitable trafo.

Cheers
    Last edited by catalanjo; 07-10-2011 at 05:46. Reason: USA mains 110VAC