Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: A plea for safety, pl edition.

But you got to admit...this would look spectacular attached to the shoulders of spastic dancers in a night club full of patrons on X. With proper amounts of glitter...totally safe

a lot of discussion about something that nothing can be done about. The projector is properly designed and interlocked as required to be entered into commerce.

The success or failure of the projector will come from the success or failure of the projector.

ILDA Control...dont make me laugh

Controls???- Controls are for those who want it for themselves...Technically...All 445 blue diode sales should go through me and only me

Just sit back, relax, and watch what innovative people will do with technology, and shake your head at the ignorance that others will do with the technology. We have both camps right here on this little forum.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 445 Diode Array Blasting.jpg  

Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by danielbriggs View Post
    Oh yeah, yep and yes to all questions.
    Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post

I caution anyone going to try this. Pull out your goggles before you turn it on; I am very glad I did. That bitch it BRIGHT!!! Feels like it would cause a "sunburn" in minutes if not seconds. Much safer to sue the remote too...

@White-Light, I think most of the objections here on PL are of the "Having such easy access to such cheap, powerful, and easily accessable diodes could put the industry in danger if put in the hands of irresponsible people." It has nothing to do with profitability, most here don't build projectors professionally; or that some Allen will get a hold of a cheap projector and steal buisness as regulation should take care of that. It is about the industry being regulated to death after a possible accident with one of these $50, 1Watt visible diodes getting into the hands of someone who has no clue... at all. Kinda like myself with a 3mW 650nm keychain when I was 18 and on who knows what pointing it out of a car window at street signs in downtown Orlando... This possible accident is made all the more possible because these $50, 1Watt visible diodes are so easily attainable. I hear they almsot fall out of the projector.

My only suggestion is for those with a Casio projector, myself included, is to regulate who we sell diodes and modules to; that is about all we can be responsible for.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    ...It is about the industry being regulated to death after a possible accident with one of these $50, 1Watt visible diodes getting into the hands of someone who has no clue... at all. ...This possible accident is made all the more possible because these $50, 1Watt visible diodes are so easily attainable. ...My only suggestion is for those with a Casio projector, myself included, is to regulate who we sell diodes and modules to; that is about all we can be responsible for.
    ...at least ONE guy understands my point...

@ W-L... yes, I have to spend some more time reading all those ILDA-docs / studies... thanks for the 'bump' on that.... ...we are working hard on getting 'real-world' Regs over-here, but again, all we need is for ONE nationally-televised 'blue-pointer' incident, and we're set-back X-years with making progress on getting the CDRH to take us seriously / looking-at 'relaxing' those antiquated parts of the Regs.... they 'lump' the deviants in-with the responsible - pointers / shows / demos - it's all 'entertainment' to them...

...Really, it's not-even so-much one single diode, that is such a concern to-me, with these puppies - what would it take for someone to get the 'bright idea' to do this:

(pic deleted by LSA)

... with a car-battery and an inverter - 24W into airspace!... Like Steve said at the outset, it's more-likely the FAA we'll have to worry about, than CDRH, if/when something happens...

to your comments, A.... my sentiments, exactly...
    peace..
    j

Quote Originally Posted by Laserman532 View Post
    But you got to admit...this would look spectacular attached to the shoulders of spastic dancers in a night club full of patrons on X. With proper amounts of glitter...
    Hahahahaha! Pat, I would never have pegged you as a 'glitter-man'... ...then-again, these are your Glam-Dogs, right?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ellie_n_Dash_532.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	252.4 KB 
ID:	17553

.... you got a 'variance' for those pups, mister?
    j
    Last edited by dsli_jon; 06-08-2010 at 22:22.
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Just to add ... some people are getting over a watt out of their 12x BR diodes. Even the ones that aren't are getting a 600-700mW CW.

I agree though, these 445nm diodes can and will be dangerous in the wrong hands. All we can *really* do is restrict who can purchase said diodes *on PL*, and educate the people who may purchase them elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    ...at least ONE guy understands my point...
    Dude, everyone here understands and the vast majority of us agree with your point.. It's the methods of control that we're conflicted about. We're not all just a bunch of idiots you know. It's obvious that you consider yourself a foremost intellect, but for the love of god give someone else a little credit once in awhile.

And also, that looks like 24 watts into a tree.
    Last edited by ElektroFreak; 06-07-2010 at 10:13.

control information, control supply.... buy them all... and dont tell anyone...?

Its all completely futile (imho)
    All the time the projectors are available, people will be in a position to purchase these however they want. Get 4 mates together, spend £200 each (less than I paid for any of my other lasers individually) and you have 6 diodes each.

These forums are not the be-all-and-end-all of the laser world, and you will never control what people do.

If people here stop selling to 'those unworthy' I'll just be out with my credit card and buying my own beamer if I need any more diodes.

Remember, even with the tightest controls in the world, someone 'will' mount one in apointer, which 'will' get shone at something/someone in an unappropriate manner.

PL and LPF are 'not' going to prevent that, so quit worrying about it.

If you really wanted to do something about it, remove all trace of talk about 445's (or even building lasers in general) from the internet, and you may slow it down somewhat.... is that going to happen? I doubt it.

Handheld lasers with outputs over 5mW are directed energy weapons, and really good for nothing else. So is a bench mounted laser with a handheld mirror in the hand of an idiot or criminal sitting at a window. But the drop in price of high powered lasers is putting them into the hands of more of both, and sooner or later their ownership will require a license.

What I don't understand is why the companies making products with these high powered blue lasers in them aren't required to render the lasers inoperable if they're ever removed from the product. The products aren't designed for the lasers to be harvested. I predict a lawsuit from a burned little girl's parents against Casio or some other deep pockets corporation, because some 17 year old with a Star Wars fantasy hits her in the back of the head with a 500mW blue laser pointer and she turns her head unexpectedly. Sold to him on Ebay (who don't sell guns). Encouraged to burn things by those at LPF. Built with plans provided here.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

And just the scattered light from these is a severe hazard, let alone the direct beam. You do not get a second chance with this level of power.

This is a Rattlesnake that does permanent damage, moves 11.8 inches (30 cm) every billionth of a second, is totally unfeeling, and will blind you, burn you, and scar you.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

I've been thinking about it, and I'm with Pat. Kick back, relax and enjoy your hobby/profession.

Dwelling on some possible worst case scenario all the time, and planning out how you're going to fix this "problem" (that hasn't yet become a problem) for the rest of the world will get your hair gray quick.. if it isn't already. What's done is done. All we can do is the best we can do. I stopped my group buys when I realized how powerful these are, and I don't know if I'll ever do more. People that are supplying diodes need to make a judgement for themselves how they handle the danger.

Class 4 laser pointers are nothing new, and almost every teenage kid on LPF that wanted to have one before this "445nm revolution" could and did get one. Nothing has really changed. Class 4 blu-ray diodes have been available for around $100 for awhile now, with 300mW being around the $50 price point, and they're available to anyone. Most of these kids seem to be able to find money for extremely high-powered portables as well.. While I most certainly recognize that these lasers are a risk, the truth is nearly ALL lasers are a risk. 405nm light is just as dangerous to the skin and eyes as 445nm light, if not slightly more so.. and like I just said, class 4 405nm pointers are in the hands of children right now. I just don't think that freaking out and claiming that we're all ruined is helping much. Call me crazy...