Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: One Stop laser Shop Phone Disconnected?

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    Ever think maybe they went on vacation or got sick and the phone line just happened to have trouble? With all the rain and such we had up here I can only imagine what happens down there!

I bought my first argon from them and I TELL YOU they would NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER stiff anyone. Does any one live near by and can drop in?

- - - Updated - - -

I'd chip in on a plane ticket to send someone down to see if they are ok.

Kecked, I'll send you a few phone numbers of nearby businesses to try. Perhaps you will have better luck then me. I'm worried. While not a personal friend, Amanda was, and I pray she still is, an AMAZING business friend back to the "Bob" days...

Not many vendors would get up on a Saturday to send me a FedEx overnight to a hotel room address in nowhere, Louisiana, like she has.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Whilst not a nice thing to happen, businesses do go under, and sometimes take other businesses with them, and it can sometimes happen quite suddenly.
    Once there is no money in the pot, it matters not who is a lifelong friend and who is any other business customer - there is no money left, whether they like it or not. There is no intention to 'stiff' anyone, but at the same time they can't supply the goods, nor refund the money.

I truly hope that everything is well and its simply a combination of factors at work, but I'm not sure I'd ever assume that things might not have gone belly up.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

I have a theory that when the greek economy went down EMS took them with them. Just a thought. I then think they are so embarrassed they don't know what to do next. If that is the case and you are reading this come forward and tell us so so we can all collectively help you as you have helped us over the years. The power of crowd sourcing like we did for our friend in china a while back is very powerful.

While this is a business, this particular piece of the world is kind of like family. We take care of our own and no one gets left behind.

I'd bet they also have enough stuff lying around we can all use that by legitimate business we could help them buy their way out of the debt to some degree.

I have a theory that when the greek economy went down EMS took them with them.

This is interesting. I have been following the European Union (collapse), but I did not know that EMS had disappeared. Is that correct? If so, that's a shame. They make/made a good scanner. Fred and Amanda should not bear any embarrassment over that. Furthermore, some of us should get together and help move their whole operation here to the US (preferably the North East). Beryllium and lightweight mirrors, liquid cooled motors etc. I bet they could compete with Nutfield.

Hello Everyone ! Thanks for the very kind words !

Greek economy is not down. Our leaders are just trying to get the best terms for the next loan (every country has debts and gets loans...), so this game is transferred to the outside world as a destruction (...!). It is true that our country has lost a lot of its gross domestic product thanks to the ''successful'' policies forced to us by the IMF, but life goes on. Someone in the past has said 'heroes fight like Greeks''. If there are any genes left inside us from our ancestors, then we will come out of this stronger !

As for our company, we happily inform that it is our busiest period since years. We have improved all our scanners. The integrated servo ones (the 5110) offer practically the same performance as the DT-PT40, but at 1/3 of the size and with low cost. The standard mirror we use for the 5110 is a back thinned 6.8x12mm mirror (referred as 5mm, actually less as the scanners are in orthogonal mounts).

We have a new unique mirror set for the 8000 series, for 6.5mm square beams. It is a very big mirror set and it is back thinned for reduced inertia. We have used finite element analysis to find all the resonant modes of the mirror/mount/shaft. The result is an unbelievable 40K@8deg with equally fast large steps. In comparison, the 6mm CT6215 (with a little smaller mirrors) gets only 24K and with a lot of heat. Our customers cannot believe their eyes when they see the mirror size and the performance.
    We also made a similar shaped mirror for 5mm square beams with 60K@7deg performance.

Also, the reduced price tag of the 4000 series has made them China's favorites...Good performance and totally unbreakable.

By the way, we produce all our mirrors in house. We use very high quality fused silica dielectric mirrors sheets, with l/4 flatness (over 10mm) and a 99% coating. We have developed a technique to cut and 3d mill (at the same time) the back side of the mirrors in order to reduce inertia. We have also modeled mirrors from beryllium and they give little advantage over our back-thinned fused silica mirrors. The beryllium mirrors are also very expensive and prepare to evacuate the place if the mirror breaks !

Our latest product is a miniature shutter that bolts directly on your baseplate, operates from 7 - 30V DC via an integrated switch mode driver, has analog/TTL input (yes, fade-ins...) and also has the flag attached. Plug and play safety shutter.

All the above keep us busy and we haven't updated our website. We apologize.

All the best to all !

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5110 scanset + NanoAct.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	47532
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5mm_sq_Y_resonance.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	47533

Thanks for the very kind words !
    Firstly, no problem.

Greek economy is not down. Our leaders are just trying to get the best terms for the next loan (every country has debts and gets loans...), so this game is transferred to the outside world as a destruction (...!).
    I assume you are not kidding, but then you are dangerously wrong. Your communist leaders are promising what cannot be delivered. Merkel may be an ass, but the productive citizens of Europe are increasingly restless with Greek expectations. Much of Europe and I include the U.S. here as well, are living off the diminishing resources, material and human, of previous generations. Our politicians are promising undeliverable benefits that can only be temporarily financed through the dilution of financial resources. In the US, this manifested by printing money with no assets to back it up. In Greece, it is impossibly generous pensions that cannot and will not be honored.

Your African and especially North African invaders are standing in for your declining birth rate and within a couple of decades, depending on you policies, will no longer be the minority population in several European countries. ISIS is not doing what they are doing because of their latitude. Goodby Sweden.

We have a new unique mirror set for the 8000 series, for 6.5mm square beams. It is a very big mirror set and it is back thinned for reduced inertia.
    I remember discussing this with Tom last year. At that time I was investigating a lightening technique that involved drilling holes in the outer edges of these mirrors to achieve similar. or better lighting, but the process proved unfeasible to fabricate and the precision glass fabricators declined to quote this. Tom said you had already fabricated several prototype mirrors with beveling the back side of the outer edge with good results and he also said you had the fabricating equipment in house. This is good to hear.

Beryllium is another matter. This material is so much stiffer and lighter than silica that the only way the performance in a scanner can be comparable, even when using light weighted silica is for the rotor inertia to be a significant component of the overall inertia. This is in fact true for smaller mirrors. Where beryllium really shines is when you use larger and larger mirrors. Beryllium is expensive, but it can be more cost effective if you choose to offer it on only the "Y" mirror which is the inertia limiting component in a scanner pair. Furthermore, I've had conversations with Hardric Laboratories (nearly a neighbor) about the health risks associated with beryllium. It is not apocalyptic.

Tom any news from Fred and Amanda on your end?

Hello Kecked,

No I haven't got any news from them for many months now.

Tom

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    I have a theory that when the greek economy went down EMS took them with them.
    Wish it were that 'TV-drama' simple.. Unfortunately, it sounds like it's a bit-more worrysome scenario than 'not enough scanner orders'.. Just got this reply from an 'inquiry' (as to 'what's going on' / are Fred/Amanda OK, etc..) thru one of OSLS's eBay auctions: (And some of what could be considered 'too-personal for public-posting', in my-discretion, has been [snipped] but I can explain more in PM to anyone concerned..)

"Hi. My mom is still in the hospital and the doctors don't want her exposed to any stress because of her heart and the stress from the 2 operations so my sister and I haven't told her about the phone or anything. We think they will send her home again on Tuesday if the infection is under control then. Gramma took her phone away because [snipped]. The doctor says she might be able to go back to work in about a week after they send her home. I am shipping what I can find from ebay but I don't have the passwords to her email so I can't do anything there. Did you need to place an order for something?"

..So, yeah.. I guess 'prayers / well-wishes' are in order.. And, above all, patience (as hard as that can be when $$ is tied-up / involved..) I'll post more info as / if I get it, but.. For now, again - It's NOT them 'just up-and going OOB / taking the $$ and running'..

..Still, this does not explain 'where's Fred?' in all this / why can't He deal with 'fixing the phone' (you think he'd know by Now..) / answering emails, etc, but.. Hopefully, it's not some crazy 'dual-tragedy' scenario (like a car-accident, with them both coming back from an Appt / lunch, or something-like...) but.. The bit in the dialogue, there, about an 'infection under control' would seem to discount that, so.. Dunno..

I'll try and find out / post back, as-able..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Two operations and infection go hand in hand. A trauma or a health issue could lead to a sudden hospitalization,surgeries and complications; the priorities can change very quickly. This sounds tragic, but the news is encouraging at the same time. I hope she does well.

Now where is Fred? They must have had times in the past when one or both of them had other obligations. How long has there been no communication? Is Fred alive? Are there other employes?