Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mystery object

Looks like a trunion combrumpter with the optional hydro-coptic marzle vane fitted to reduce sinusoidal deplaneration.
    This space for rent.

I think its a light source from a spectrophotometer. I think the gears turn a monochromator. The one side is UV-VIS and the other is IR.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Best Guess, Its from a Meditech medical laser. Same over-built telescoping tubes they use in all their products.

The one is a custom short arc lamp of some form. The other is a tungsten source. My guess is aiming beam and a beam source for exciting dyes.

I've never seen that in their products, but it has to be the same design engineer.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

What is the mercury lamp for?

Thanks guys. Still not sure what I can use it for. I'm sure it'll come in handy for something. I think you are right silentgloves, who else says Gday?

kecked is right, it is a light source for a UV/VIS spectrometer or spectrophotometer. The mercury arc lamps supplies the UV spectrum as well as a couple lines that can be used to calibrate. The tungsten lamp supplies the visible to near-ir wavelengths.

If that really is a grating and not just a mirror to select the source it is probably the most valuable part of it. Spectrometer gratings are spendy, even used.

I have a few of those lamps. Might try to use one as a line source for my scanning monochrometer.

Quote Originally Posted by macona View Post
    kecked is right, it is a light source for a UV/VIS spectrometer or spectrophotometer. The mercury arc lamps supplies the UV spectrum as well as a couple lines that can be used to calibrate. The tungsten lamp supplies the visible to near-ir wavelengths.

If that really is a grating and not just a mirror to select the source it is probably the most valuable part of it. Spectrometer gratings are spendy, even used.

I have a few of those lamps. Might try to use one as a line source for my scanning monochrometer.
    Thanks Macona. I'll see if I can find a grating in there somewhere. If it is in there, what could it be used for other than spectrometry?
    Would the bulb be any use to you? The large arc bulb is broken but there is a small one in there.

Keith