Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: opsl - when did these happen?

Default opsl - when did these happen?

Nice to see some OPSL proliferation. I would really like to see blue and some god damn yellow at these prices! Based on his other items, I am guessing these are from pico projector engines. 530nm makes sense for balanced white and damn... these are teensy!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PL530-Osram...QAAOSwEUdcDVhx

Yeah, they were supposed to be used in phones as I recall. LPF has long threads about them. I purchased a couple white modules and a couple green only modules. I have yet to do anything with them yet, however.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    Yeah, they were supposed to be used in phones as I recall. LPF has long threads about them. I purchased a couple white modules and a couple green only modules. I have yet to do anything with them yet, however.

-David

I went ahead and ordered some of the RGB modules he has. I was hoping you were going to say that you tested them already but alas... I will have to test myself. I am really hoping to see what the alignment is like for the RGB modules. I have done a few of the chinese RGB modules and the 520nm diodes are more like 515nm than 520 and the alignment was awful right out of the gate. Hoping these are better. I am wanting to do some micro builds and with the size of these, 530nm, and what looks like really good beam quality/optics, these should make a good choice.

Yeah, if I get to them before you do I'll be sure and post the results right away. I think the output on these modules is quite low as compared to the typical 450mw we get out of modern single-mode diode combos. If they have matching aligned polarization, they might be good for doubling up on a broad-band PBS cube albeit with some net losses.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    Yeah, if I get to them before you do I'll be sure and post the results right away. I think the output on these modules is quite low as compared to the typical 450mw we get out of modern single-mode diode combos. If they have matching aligned polarization, they might be good for doubling up on a broad-band PBS cube albeit with some net losses.

-David

Cool, if you do, great, just don't go out of your way. I already ordered some so, I am getting them now regardless! For me, I am after beam quality now. I don't care about output power as much as I used to. For a living room laser show, 250mW x 4 projectors does me just fine. Reminds me of the 1/4W Lexel 75 days!

Default PL530

I have 150 of the PL530's if anyone is looking for some...

-George

The RGB engines he has are out of pico projectors (probably the showx or one of its variants), one thing to watch out for with them is that there is no way to adjust the r/g/b alignment on them. In the pico projectors the fine alignment of the beams is done using mems mirror so there is no promise that the raw beam from the engine has good r/g/b alignment. With the projector that I have the red beam not even overlapped with the green/blue before corrections.

The OPSL modules are pretty nice though. I personally prefer the corning G1000 modules because they are guaranteed single mode and tunable over a fairly wide range, but they are also a bit more complicated to drive. They were also very cheap on ebay a while back and I have a few dozen of them if anyone needs one.

So, I haven't gotten around to powering up the red and blue diodes to check alignment. I was way more interested in getting the green running.

First impression... The heater in the green module is EXTREMELY sensitive. The output varies wildly with just 1 or 2 mA. The one I tested likes 65.3mA. If I take it down to 60mA the output drops by about 50%. The output dropped almost completely at 50mA or 78mA on the heater.

Driving the pump diode at 600mA with the heater at the "preferred" current, this thing is bright. I haven't had a chance to test modulation but I have a feeling it's not going to be ideal. Also, I don't believe the IR is filtered out.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190513_184856259_LL.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	55475

Name:	IMG_20190513_184802383_LL.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	3.99 MB 
ID:	55474

Name:	IMG_20190513_184900551_LL.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	4.17 MB 
ID:	55476

Just a few more pics. One of the is me screwing around with a toslink cable. I hope to get the others hooked up and play with the modulation tomorrow.

Name:	IMG_20190513_205855061_HDR.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	3.46 MB 
ID:	55477

Name:	IMG_20190513_205902800_LL.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	2.79 MB 
ID:	55478

Name:	IMG_20190513_210305281_LL.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	2.41 MB 
ID:	55479

Cool pictures, Brian! Thanks for sharing.

Do you have a power meter? If not, do you have a wild guess at what the output power might be? Just curious...

Interesting about the thermal sensitivity... Would not have guessed that!

Adam