Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: promoting my lighting and sound company

Default promoting my lighting and sound company

hiya all
    im just starting out and have been working with a mobile dj doing his lighting for the last 4 years. i love making it look as good as i can and have spent well over £10000 on lighting equipment (loose change considering some lasers cost well inexcess of this but neva mind) i recently did a show for a small 500 person festival called summer sounds. i setup the show fully using about 20 scanners, a couple of yokes and 2 amazing coef movers (they are scanners really but i like them so much i dont like calling them scanner) not forgetting 2 x 200mw 532nm lasers, 1 x 450mw rgy and 1 450mw rgb with an extremly good white balance on.
    The show in my opinion looked superb and iv got a buzz for it now, i just wanna do more and more shows. the total amount of lighting i have could probably do a venue of about 1500-2000 people still looking amazing.

I now just need to promote myself and get my name about so people start using me for there events. Im in the process of buying a hell of alot more lighting and trussing. At the moment my list of things to buy is 4 volcano smoke effect machines and 1 more hazer. 8 x yoke lights (very good chinese imports) for now an over head goalpost with winch stands from global truss and 2 x 1w greenies and a 1 w rgb now this will take me a while to buy all this but with income from shows coming it will happen alot quicker.

im just looking for advice from anyone who knows of exactly the best ways of getting my name out there and if anyone can help that would be great. im trying to find event companies at the moment (sort of agencies) that would give my details to people putting on these events but i aint heard anything.

im sure people on here have probably been at the same stage as me at some point and any help would be amazing

thankyou very much

ollie
    2 x 10w full colour laser systems
    2 x 4w full colour laser systems
    2 x 3w full colour laser systems
    1 450mw pinkem rgb 30k scanner
    2 x 1 watt green laser
    4 x 1 watt blue 445nm laser systems
    3 watt rgb .

I really believe that word of mouth is the one Ollie. You only need to put on some good shows at reasonable size events and other promoters will start asking questions (our promoters visit other events all of the time looking for talent and ideas, and I receive emails all of the time from others).

Also; Facebook is an amazing advertising tool. Get some videos on Facebook, join some music event groups and bingo; you will start getting enquiries.

EDIT: Don't make the mistake of going OTT with the amount of equipment; its a lot more to do with how you use it than how much you have. Too many effects = light pollution = the whole club just lit up with an ambient light and all of the effects lost, like the noise of an orchestra tuning up vs a well rehersed quartet playing perfectly.
    Last edited by Doc; 09-06-2009 at 02:48.
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Not really about promotion, but very relevant for 'small companies' particularly in this line of work..... Worth a read to get a sense of perspective about 'running a company' and the details that entails.

http://www.blue-room.org.uk/index.php?showtopic=35852

Also, regarding the lifts from Global Truss - I believe that the best vaule out there at the moment is the sptek 4000 from Mobiltech. I own the 50kg lifts from Global and they are good but 100kg isn't really enough for some jobs. 160kg from a pair of the Sptek4k's is MUCH more useful, and not LOADS more expensive

what sound set up do you have dude

Default re

thanks alot everyone very useful information guys cheers. the sound setup is not really my domain to be honest. i work with another lad and he has been dealing with the speakers. unfortunatly i dont know the exact models of each but we have 2 x jbl 400w a cab, 2 x mcgregor 400w a cab, 2 x 800w mccoy bass bins, 2 x idea audio 200w a cab speakers used as monitors, 2 x wharfdale 400w a cab and 2 x wharfdale 1000w a cab double driver sp-eakers which are stunning. we have just got these and they are amazing sound quality with the jbls it sounds perfect. now these are all the continuous running powers of the speakers as i dont like stating peak levels.
    the amps are peak powers, we have a qcs 2000w a side amp, 2 x 800w as side c-audio amp, 1 x 800w a side mcgregor amp, 1 x 400w a side mcgregor amp and we have 2 more but cant fink of the manufacturer

the problem is its all not matched but what we have done is carpeted everything and it all looks ace together now. i understand that wharfdale aint known for being a particularly good make of speaker but the double driver ones we just bought shit all over the jbls for sound quality and were gonna buy 4 more with matching bins. they sound crystal clear and very loud and bassy. i love em they sound brilliant.

as i have said i dont deal with the sound and not as much money has been put into it. i was looking at a small line array setup a while ago and would love that but its all about money again lol

2 x 1 watt green laser
    3 watt rgb .

One issue that you have to bear in mind when mixing lots of different amp and speaker combos is cancellation. That is, at various frequencies through the usable range; one set of cabs will cancel out another set due to phasing charactistics, so you will end up with holes in the frequency response.
    Last edited by Doc; 09-06-2009 at 06:02. Reason: spelling
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Default re

i am aware of this and i think thats why when putting the jbl and the wharfdales together it sounds better than when there on there own. they seem to just sound clearer when there both on now i know there are more speakers so it would sound louder but its not that cause iv tried it with other speakers. at the moment were in the process of selling all the random equipment and getting all wharfdale audio. it looks more proffesional if its all similar looking gear and will sound better if its all the same too.
    2 x 1 watt green laser
    3 watt rgb .

Default re

heres some pics of the event from the official photographer. unfortunatly he hasnt really focused on my lighting and im abit gutted. if had stood at the back looking in the tent and taken a few pictures of the lasers i would have loved it but neva mind. hope u enjoy

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stesib/...81300808/show/

here is the non flash version

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stesib/...7622181300808/
    2 x 1 watt green laser
    3 watt rgb .

Next time take your own pictures! The local guys I work with here do that too

Quote Originally Posted by oliverst14@hotmail.com View Post
    heres some pics of the event from the official photographer. unfortunatly he hasnt really focused on my lighting and im abit gutted. if had stood at the back looking in the tent and taken a few pictures of the lasers i would have loved it but neva mind. hope u enjoy

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stesib/...81300808/show/

here is the non flash version

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stesib/...7622181300808/
    id love to be were your at with lighting. i have a full martin audio black line system (4 x s18s , 4x f15s , 2 x crown xti 6000s and 2 x crown xti 4000s.) but have a fairly week and scattered line up of lights. have a about 6 pars, 2 led pars, 5 led american dj lights ( dont knock em to ya try em) a kam led par bar,
    have a 50mW green laser, kam 160mW rgy and a laserworld cs400rgy.

my biggest problem is having no dmx board!