Thread: Any chance of a winamp plugin for LiveQUICK?

Default Any chance of a winamp plugin for LiveQUICK?

I have the FB3, but only LiveQUICK for now, and it's a great piece of software, but the FB3 lacks some shows, and I lack creativity to make most of them, so I was wondering if there would ever be a winamp plugin for LQ any time soon? Even if it just changed cues to the bet of the music, just something to get the patterns going to the beat would be awesome!

Cheers,
    Dan

Yes that would be cool, but as it sits today, the communication protocol to that particular hardware is closed- i.e. no SDK. Without that, it would be next to impossible for someone other than Pangolin to create such an application. It would be nice, but we'll have to see if one is released anytime soon. I upgraded from an FB3 to a QM board- and the availability of the SDK was one of my primary motivators (since I love coding to talk to these things).
    -Mike

Hi,

What Mike wrote is true. Up until now, we've spent our time working on software that most users can use, and haven't yet spent any time in creating an SDK for the FB3. What I mean by "most users", is -- we have over 10,000 users now, and I would estimate in all of history, perhaps only 30 people have ever requested our SDK (for any platform). So... we want to spend our time where it will help the maximum number of users, and right now, that's the latest version of LD2000 and on QuickShow.

However, there might be another way to skin this cat... Once we release QuickShow we will enable a method whereby people can communicate to the FB3 (or any other connected laser controllers) and do the communication "through" QuickShow. So in that way, QuckShow will serve as a kind of gateway to the hardware.

Best regards,

William Benner
    Last edited by Pangolin; 11-08-2009 at 18:35.

perhaps only 30 people have ever requested our SDK (for any platform).
    That's as may be, but I'm sure you've had more requests for Asteroids for FB3 than that.... It only takes one SDK to create 10,000 'happier' users.

Anyway, Bill's made the offer now - come on someone, make me Asteroids!

Hehehe, that sure would be awesome!

I myself have only worked a little bit in C++ and VB, but still at the very basic stages so I wouldn't be very helpful

Maybe Zoof/mikkojay could jump in?

I've just emailed Bill to see if he's prepared to send me the code to start working on an SDK. I appreciate I an new here, but was an LD2000 user some years ago and spent time porting the SDK into .NET (Not a delphi programmer, although I can read the code quite happily)

We shall see what the man says

Best Regards
    Chris

Cool

If this project gets off the ground, the project lead might want to contact Justin Frankel. He's the guy who wrote winamp, and he also wrote the original laser visualizer plug-in for the QM-2000 board. He might be able to share some insights...

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisPriest View Post
    I've just emailed Bill to see if he's prepared to send me the code to start working on an SDK.
    Thanks for your interest Chris. As I wrote to you in our recent email exchange, for the FB3, we are going to handle that a bit differently than we have for the QM2000. We are going to basically allow people to communicate with the FB3 "through" our QuickShow application. That's a much better way to go, and also then you will be able to use effects and other things within QuickShow, and even play your content along with the QuickShow content in real time.

Right now we are shoring up the QuickShow application itself, and it should be released and downloadable from the web site in a matter of days. Keep an eye on the "What's new at Pangolin" section of the web site.

Realistically, I don't see the ability to communicate "through" QuickShow until very close to the end of this year, or possibly early next year. In the mean time, QuickShow is turning out to be a pretty killer program, and it should be pretty fun to use.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Thanks for your interest Chris. As I wrote to you in our recent email exchange, for the FB3, we are going to handle that a bit differently than we have for the QM2000. We are going to basically allow people to communicate with the FB3 "through" our QuickShow application. That's a much better way to go, and also then you will be able to use effects and other things within QuickShow, and even play your content along with the QuickShow content in real time.

Right now we are shoring up the QuickShow application itself, and it should be released and downloadable from the web site in a matter of days. Keep an eye on the "What's new at Pangolin" section of the web site.

Realistically, I don't see the ability to communicate "through" QuickShow until very close to the end of this year, or possibly early next year. In the mean time, QuickShow is turning out to be a pretty killer program, and it should be pretty fun to use.

Bill
    Bill,

I am very glad to hear that QuickShow will be released in a few days more excited Beyond will be out in a year or so after this! With a Pangolin SDK out it will be even better (yes you have to interface with Quickshow but that is fine) I hope soon in the future I will be a customer too. I am looking forward to reading Quickshow reviews in the future!

-Adam
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.