Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Strobes and hazers

Quote Originally Posted by oliverst14@hotmail.com View Post
    very true, as seen with the fake i phones. the thing with the fake iphones is they dont work with apple,s stuff. these copied strobes do which is my big attraction.
    Oli, if you mean the Detonator controller, thats just a very simple controller (not DMX though). I would personally be quite surprised if it is compatable.

Its like cars, you cant compare a kia to a BMW, it might look similar but you wont ever get the quality in a KIA that you get in a BMW!

Get a quality used one, where you can get parts and support if required and probably more importantly proper safety markings / ratings if you plan to use it in a public space... if you dont want to get a new one that is!

Thing is designing a strobe to use a Martin DMX controller is just a case of having your channels do the same things, and the channels are documented in the manual, so designing something to work with a martin (or any other DMX) controller is utterly trivial.

The old school analogue controllers are even easier, a 10V pulse with a reasonably fast rise time on the tip contact of a jack was the standard strobe trigger way back when.

The tricky parts in a strobe are the tube, and the pulse generating circuitry (Either capacitor or inductive current limit off the mains with a thyristor or IGBT switch), both of which cost to do right and are possible to cheap out on massively while still giving something that sort of works (Rather like lasers really).

I would be **REALLY** worried about my eyes if there was a strobe producing significant ozone (which says tube is not attenuating UVC to a reasonable extent).

Regards, Dan (Who likes the Dataflashes more then the Martin).

I found a whole bunch of Martin Atomics on ebay.com last night. I forgot to copy the links though. They all seem fairly well priced. Do a little search and see what comes up.

There was a set of 4 with the color scrollers too in a flightcase for a very good price.

The only trouble will be getting them shipped to the UK

Cheers
    Rich

Do keep in mind that the Atomics require 16A three-phase power to supply them with juice, so you need to lift those heavy CEEform cables into the truss.

The Showtec Titans may be a bit less powerful, but they're quite cheap, reasonably well built and only need 230V single phase power so you can run them off standard extension cables. I wouldn't run more than one off a fuse simultaneously though.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney3K View Post
    Do keep in mind that the Atomics require 16A three-phase power to supply them with juice, so you need to lift those heavy CEEform cables into the truss.
    3-phase?! Not quite! 16a single phase for low power mode or 32a single for high power and blinder effect... 16a cables are 2.5mm squared cable so not too heavy or hard to rig!

It's all about where it will be used and how much money you have, atomics will be more reliable and easier to get parts, showtecs will be cheaper but maybe not as good performance! My 2 atomics in ministry have done over a year and a half in a harsh club enviorment and still going strong! So see where my vote goes!

Quote Originally Posted by DMills View Post

I would be **REALLY** worried about my eyes if there was a strobe producing significant ozone (which says tube is not attenuating UVC to a reasonable extent).
    I doubt much UV exits the fixture, they have a glass window.
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

The ozone would be caused by a few things. 1st, they run from high voltage. Any exposed high voltage lines will produce ozone. 2nd, as someone else mentioned, they produce a huge amount of light, and could even start ionizing the air inside the unit. Try putting a piece of black paper or something over your camera flash and see what it does

Quote Originally Posted by Things View Post
    The ozone would be caused by a few things. 1st, they run from high voltage. Any exposed high voltage lines will produce ozone. 2nd, as someone else mentioned, they produce a huge amount of light, and could even start ionizing the air inside the unit. Try putting a piece of black paper or something over your camera flash and see what it does
    It's the UV, it is mentioned in the user manual.
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Yes, but the high voltage will also produce ozone, such as from sharp points like the capacitor leads etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Things View Post
    Yes, but the high voltage will also produce ozone, such as from sharp points like the capacitor leads etc.
    The voltages in a strobe are mostly not that high (apart from the trigger transformer which is microsecond pulses at a few hz). The main HV supply in a strobe is typically no more then 400V.

Corona as an ozone source typically does not become a serious problem below low tens of KV.

The ozone is all photochemistry.

Regards, Dan.