Thread: Projection screens ?

Default Projection screens ?

Anyone heard of "Razorback" cloth. Apparently can be used for laser projection screens. It is used so they say in theatrical works.
    Don't know anything about it as such.
    I know there is a Razorback cloth for covering aeroplanes but I doubt if thats it. Google doesn't offer much help either.

What's the opinion about suitable material for screening both rear and front.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Cheers

Ray

clandestiny is offline Eleventy-Billion Watt Ar/Kr >:)
    somewhere between orlando and san antonio

never heard of razorback- but sharktooth is a type of theatrical scrim- basically the weave is available in different patterns depending on the amount of light transparentcy desired-
    sharktooth is just one of the types of weaves
    go big or go home

Best front projection screens are spandex. Rear projection - theatrical scrim.
    I hired an Italian guy to do my wires. Now they look like spaghetti!

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Laser View Post
    Best front projection screens are spandex.
    hey Ray -

I second the above comments - Spandex for FP: *thumbs-up!*; Sharkstooth for RP : *thumbs-up!* (especially BLACK, for when you wanna have the scrim 'disappear' so your projections look like they are 'floating in space') - now, a couple more fine suggestions, depending on your 'application' (INdoor vs OUTdoor...)

For OUTdoor apps, especially where strong (>30 mph) winds are possible, best to use 'Textiline' http://www.garysupholstery.com/textilene.html which can be sewn (typically boat-sail repair shops can sew them fairly inexpensively) into whatever size you want... Also works excellent for combo FP/RP - ie: FP lumia with RP graphics - very cool effects can be achieved this way... however, due to its' 'thicker' weave, even though it is fairly 'open', unless you have a very high-power laser (ie 12-15 Watts+) it really cuts down on the 'pass-thru', so your 'atmospherics' are not nearly as good as with, say, sharkstooth - but it is very, very tough for outdoor apps...

For INdoor - OR - even OUTdoor in low-wind (<30 mph) venues where you wanna get that 'double-whammy' effect - bright, crisp graphics ON scrim, with great 'pass-thru' for atmospherics, the best we've ever seen is scrims made of - that's right - mosquito netting!

We use a Co in FL http://www.skeeta.com/html/netting/custom_sewing.htm that sews them for us to any size, and due to the design we use for 'flying' them, (which spreads the 'tension' out very evenly) even outdoor in pretty strong winds, they hold up extremely well, and are super-light - and for INdoor, you just can't beat them - make all your projections look like majik. And even for lower power lasers (2-5W or less), graphics look bright and crisp -

NOTE - 'Skeeta' scrims are really only best for RP - FP, the projections sort of 'die' - because there IS so much 'pass-thru' - not to say you CAN'T use it FP, but its' majik is best realized when using RP...(see examples below...) Best of all, mosquito-net scrims are CHEEEAP!!!! (ie: 12' x 18': $200. SEWN with 2 pole-pockets!!!)

Hope this was helpful!.. peace..

-J
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Temple_Scrim1.jpg  

Pied100_6.jpg  

Last edited by dsli_jon; 11-24-2008 at 21:48.
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Wow !!

That is fantastic help just what I was after.

Those pix are fantastic and really inspiring. Do you have anymore pix ??

I really appreciate your effort in your reply as I am sure some others will as well.

When you talk of "scrim" is this a term for any generic "open weave" (like mosquito netting) fabric or does it refer to a specific product that someone manufactures ?

All and any suggestions on "display topics" and how to is most welcome.

Many thanks

Ray

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Pitts View Post
    Wow !!
    That is fantastic help just what I was after.
    Those pix are fantastic and really inspiring. Do you have anymore pix ??
    I really appreciate your effort in your reply as I am sure some others will as well.
    When you talk of "scrim" is this a term for any generic "open weave" (like mosquito netting) fabric or does it refer to a specific product that someone manufactures ?
    All and any suggestions on "display topics" and how to is most welcome.
    Hey Ray -

Thanks for the compliments! We do try hard! And yeah, RE: pix, it would prolly be best if you either PM-me your email, and I can send you a zip folder - or - if you are on 'myspace', you can add/invite as a friend (www.myspace.com/dsli) and see all my / our pix... systems, shows, fx, etc...

RE: 'scrim', well here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrim_%28material%29 is the 'official' answer, but basically, yeah, we say 'scrim' to distinguish when you are talking about an open-weave material (whatever it is made of) usually more for rear-projection (RP) vs a SCREEN, which is typically closed-weave / solid (but not always, can still be somewhat transLUCENT, like most RP video screen, but not really transMISSIVE, like scrim...) used more for front-proj (FP)...

RE: mosquito net - it is also available in black, camo (of course, but unless you're doing a laser show in Iraq, not sure WHY you'd use it) silver (grey) and white... the silver is also good for indoor, where you want it to 'disappear' (like the "FedEx" logo example above) in the dark, but it does not 'soak up' as much light as black - especially black sharkstooth...

Here is another example, with black sharkstooth, but just for this pic, we FRONT-projected - look how much laser light you can see on the PROJECTION SIDE (facing us) - this means that on the AUDIENCE side, they won't see it quite as bright (though they would get some good 'pass-thru' fx...) cause much of it is 'soaked up' (highly-technical term) by the scrim - this was shot before we discovered how good the MN was for RP...

Anyhoo, glad to be of some help, and PM-me up if ya want more, or, better yet, myspace... We also should have all our work up SOON online when we launch our new website... I'm gonna save any 'PL Gallery' posts for my personal work (projectors, experiments, prototypes, etc...), cause I know this is not a 'commercial site... - peace!

- J
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ImPRA_2.jpg  

J

Many thanks once again for your help.

Re your concern that this site is not a "commercial site"..

I think this is really a laser site site full stop whether you are pro' or amateur.
    There are many commercial transactions based on this site even "shops" are established here via contacts on PL.
    Manufacturers rep's keep popping up and offering new goodies , "look at our site" or enticements (like gifts or raffles).

I personally think as long as whats happening is increasing our knowledge base, making it easier and making all of us aware of what's out there and how to do things and sharing successes and failures what can be wrong with that !!

It really doesn't matter what you do for a living .. We seem to have all walks of life here on PL.

Many thanks for sharing the information and pix' it certainly helped me.

Regards

Ray
    NZ

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Pitts View Post
    J
    Many thanks once again for your help.

Re your concern that this site is not a "commercial site"..

Many thanks for sharing the information and pix' it certainly helped me.
    Hey Ray -

Thank again for the nice comments! Yeah, well I agree, but I just don't wanna come across like (because we 'watermark' all our pix) every post where I put my / our work up is a 'stealth-plug' for 'DSLI' - I am not here TO sell - not exactly our 'market', ya know? But, if along the way, like you said, something gets sold / bought - especially if it HELPS somebody! well, then everybody 'wins'!

You are most welcome, and feel free to PM-me for the Co in FL that makes us the MN-scrims... ciao!

- J
    Last edited by dsli_jon; 01-07-2008 at 04:06.

I was just browsing for mosquito nets and came across this phalic doozy!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003UH4LF...SIN=B003UH4LFA
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I was just browsing for mosquito nets and came across this
    BUOOOOAAAhhhahahahahahaha! ROFL... That has to be either the most innocently-naive ad ever made - or the most insidiously-innuendoed... "...the beds of the little ladies will become dream oases!"

cheers...
    j