Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RGB Lasers - faulty dual blue laser module.

Default RGB Lasers - faulty dual blue laser module.

Hi, I’m slowly working through the issues with my RGB Lasers LP2000 projector.

The Blue laser is a strange looking module which has 2 laser beam aperures.
    Looks like the 2 beams are combined using a PBS cube. However it looks like only 1 side of the module is working.
    I have no technical information on the module & I’m keen to check that it’s getting its correct power rails & modulation signals.
    Does anyone have any ideas? There’s a D plug but I have no idea of the pinout. Could it be one half is misaligned somehow? There does seem to be more PSUs than laser modules!
    unfortunately RGB Lasers cannot find the circuit diagrams.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Si Bond in UK.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BDD0E113-D2BB-4581-8DFB-F7159242533B.jpeg 
Views:	3 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	54778
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B0A43BFC-E755-4B67-8FF1-8CDE747D4329.jpeg  

C790CFBC-F568-49BC-BE7A-8AC92405E1E4.jpeg  

Is the blue made up of 2 different wavelengths? Could one be a 473 module and the other 445?
    If the one that is out is 473 then you're into a lot of pain for not much gain. The pump diode might have gone, or the crystal may have absorbed moisture, etc.
    Given that it's only about 1W of blue in there (assuming the 2000 relates to total power) I'd just look for a new module to drop in there.

If you want to check obvious things, find the driver and if its a sealed unit, pop the lid off and look at the board. The outputs are usually marked on the board for diode drive, etc and you can measure them there.

I've got a small pile of modules at home that it simply wasn't worth the time investigating and fixing, especially not where DPSS were concerned.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

I know those modules. That are 2x 473nm dpss blues of 1W each combined. Marvelous colours.
    But he drivers suck. Probable one of the drivers broke. How many sub-d connectors are there on the dual blue?
    Usually there are 2. If so you can switch the sub d's and see if the other laser starts to lase.
    If that is the case, then it might be one of the power supplies that is gone.
    These projectors usually have 2 power supplies per head. And I found them to brake from time to time. (assuming the power supplies are those open frame power supplies)
    Last edited by jeejeedr; 11-28-2018 at 21:35. Reason: typo
    Trying to create a good diode mount....

Default faulty blues in an RGB LP2000.

Thanks for the advice. I also need to take better photos & get the serial number.
    but I will try both - swapping the D plugs over to see if it’s a faulty driver. Also take the lid off tocheck board connections. Is it ok to open the modules? They’re not sealed units where a speck of dust would cause damage?
    Also there are at least 4 or 5 driver circuit boards on righthand side. All look the same.

i just wish I could get the circuit/schematic diagrams, or at least the pi outs..

thanks, Si.

Default RGB LP2000 Dual Blue Laser module.

Hi again,
    i forgot to post a picture of the ‘nest of drivers’ to the right.
    not sure what the loose purple wires are, but each driver has them.
    does anyone recognise the drivers?
    thanks, Si B in the UK.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0C398C2C-3C64-4AC0-8246-302F5EACDCA2.jpeg 
Views:	5 
Size:	2.65 MB 
ID:	54784

The blue dpss crystals are hygrostatic. So if you can fugure out what is wrong without opening them, the better.

Quote Originally Posted by jeejeedr
    That are 2x 473nm dpss blues of 1W each combined
    Blimey! Must have cost a small fortune when new!! If its got 2W of 473, what does the 2000 in the model name represent?
    Or do you mean 2x500mW modules for a combined 1W of 473?

Quote Originally Posted by jeejeedr
    The blue dpss crystals are hygrostatic
    Think you mean hygroscopic
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Default RGB Lasers - faulty dual blue laser module.

Name:	DE9C8C8B-8B96-425A-B56F-F3FAED24EE8D.jpeg 
Views:	1 
Size:	1.82 MB 
ID:	54785
    Thanks for your replies. The dual module has a single D-Plug (which I’ve tried to capture in the photo above). So I cannot swap conneters over (as suggested by deedeedr). But I can vary the blue level potentiometer on the back & use my oscilloscope to see which pin controls the blue modulation. I can also check power rails.
    Are the drivers familiar to anyone? There’s quite a few there. Loose purple wires are not used.
    next logical step would be checking that the drivers are sending the correct signal to the blue laser modules. These are constant current devices, of a sort, arn’t they? I’m reluctant to just start poking about as I’m aware they are very succeptable to Static damage, so thought I’d ask first. Lasorb module maybe.

Name:	9E3C9CAD-3E46-4D99-8214-0D154CAD4A3D.jpeg 
Views:	2 
Size:	2.65 MB 
ID:	54786
    The manufacturers spec. says the blue is 500mW at 473nm.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do next?

Thank you all very much; I didn’t realise so many other people have the same hobby as me!

😃 Si Bond in UK.

473nm lasers are usually DPSS, so it's a bit more complicated than a constant current drive. There will be the diode drive, drive for 1 or 2 Peltier modules and 1 or 2 thermocouples.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    Think you mean hygroscopic
    I think hygrostatic even doesn't exist