Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Petition for Censure of Keeperx

Default Being absolutely new to lasers and forum

I am too new to say anything about a person b/c I don't know enough people. Being new to the forum and lasers, I do come here seeking knowledge. Foolishly, I accept those who have Sr. Member as one who has knowledge. This may be wrong, I have no idea how one gets to be a Sr. Member. If I'm told something wrong at this point and time, I just don't know better. I really try not to post due to my lack of knowledge. I send a PM to somebody who thankfully has patience to talk me through it. So as a newbie who could be told something wrong that could endanger themselves, others or losing their equipment....I totally understand why this needs to be addressed. Cat
    Last edited by cat; 05-11-2009 at 12:33.

Hi Cathy;

Yeah, that's a problem. "Senior Member" means anyone with 100 posts. Not really very senior, is it?

The problem is that lots of people (especially new people) look to the post count as a measure of how reliable someone's answer is. But really, post count doesn't mean anything. There are some absolutely *brilliant* minds here that just don't post very often. (Pangolin, LaserMan532, Heroic, MixedGas, to name a few)

Then there are some people that post all the time, but probably don't have the right answer.

There isn't any perfect solution, but it does help when people are honest enough to say that "I found this on google - *maybe* it's what you need" when they're not sure, instead of just "Here's the answer."

I'm glad you see why we're doing this. Drama like this is distracting and mentally draining. But in the end, I think it's worth it to increase the signal to noise ratio here in the forums.

Adam

PS: If you want to keep learning about lasers, keep posting questions Cathy. I promise you there are others out there wondering about the same things you are. Asking questions (and starting discussions about the answers) is a great way for everyone to learn, even the ones that don't post but are still curious!

Mixed gas - just read all that. Quite interesting, UK Gov, would never get away with that over here. With any fines no matter how small to be enforced need to go through the courts. Our equivalent of the FCC is OFCOM and they really don't seem to do much about illegal broadcasts these days, when I last looked there were over 50 unlicenced stations in London most run 300 watts these days...

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by madgadget View Post
    Mixed gas - just read all that. Quite interesting, UK Gov, would never get away with that over here. With any fines no matter how small to be enforced need to go through the courts. Our equivalent of the FCC is OFCOM and they really don't seem to do much about illegal broadcasts these days, when I last looked there were over 50 unlicenced stations in London most run 300 watts these days...
    Do you guys still have the trucks that hunt untaxed receivers from IF leakage?
    Or was that just a fable?

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

I just thought that was a marketing / scaremongering ploy.
    The adverts they put on the TV are very overly 'dramatic'...

Dan

Edit: Priceless http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NmdU...related&fmt=18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a_QX...related&fmt=18

Ok this is going a bit off topic - apologies.

Yes they do exist BUT its much more publicised than it really is in reality. Number one targets are basically the easy to get ones such as no TV licences. This is simply done as far as I can work out from addresses on databases, on the probability that very few people don't have a TV. When you buy a new TV you have to give your address as well so thats another cross reference. Quite often OFCOM will simply take their chances and send warning letters to households with no TV's again on the probability that they do. Also uni students are a prime target. Each uni student living away from home whilst in education must if using a mains operated TV also have their own TV licence. So if you house share then each person in that house requires their own TV licence - if its split in to seperate areas (even however if they share kitchen bathroom etc).

Currently a TV licence costs £142.50 or around US200$ a year, and it funds the BBC.

Going back to Unlicenced radio broadcasts however, when I was 16 (so 12 years ago) I used to transmit upwards of 50-100W from home (!!!!!!!!!!) and then moved to using STL links from studio to towerblocks etc... I used to build the kit we used to broadcast and moved on after there to making broadcast kit untill my early 20s, and finally organising fully licenced short term radio stations (RSL - Restricted Service Licence) for events etc. I still have all the RSL kit althoguh I have not used it for two years now

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Wink

That's it.
    I'm taking my tub of hot tar and pack of feathers back to Home Depot and getting a refund.
    This thread started out so promising too ...........

Quote Originally Posted by soforene View Post
    That's it.
    I'm taking my tub of hot tar and pack of feathers back to Home Depot and getting a refund.

we could save a few bucks on gas if you would return mine at the same time
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

Quote Originally Posted by madgadget View Post
    Also uni students are a prime target. Each uni student living away from home whilst in education must if using a mains operated TV also have their own TV licence. So if you house share then each person in that house requires their own TV licence - if its split in to seperate areas (even however if they share kitchen bathroom etc).
    Tell me about it I've had a few phone calls to and from the TV licensing department about clarifying that!
    Turns out I can watch iPlayer on my laptop in the kitchen (even the corridor or bathroom!), but the second I walk through my bedroom door, I must switch it right off...
    Absolute madness...

Quote Originally Posted by soforene View Post
    That's it.

Right... I'll do it.
    Richard, if you're going down t' B&Q get me a good length of two be four, I'll settle up with you at UKLM4.5