Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ReLux -LED Light Bulb Replacments

No artificial light source I have ever seen (so far), can simulate actual mood enhancing natural sunlight like MH, that and the efficiency make it the source of choice for today at least. As Heroic said they make them real small now for the automotive industry (the smallest I've seen was 9W) with exceptionally quick warmup and hot restrike, and the technology is advancing all the time.

No doubt leds will come to the fore at some point, with laser pumped technology being developed, but for today; halide all the way.
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

What Mr Fro means is since he has a two wavelength nearly monochromatic source in a reflector focused at infinity, thus he can see schlieren fringes at a distance from refractive index changes, I've seen them with some bright led sources.

There are 36 watt and 70 watt and 175 MH sources that are very nice interior lighting, for retail and home. Venture Lighting in nearby Solon has sold a nice houselamp fixture with a rapid start, HF ballasted MH with no flicker, just to prove it could be done

I'd be happier with leds if, 1 they were more full spectrum, 2. people would design better fixtures for them. Without the red and green present, reaction time is down by 33% or more.

If I were doing my dream house, main lighting would be MH, supplimental lighting would be led, and there would be tungsten for just in case. Of course the plumbing would be Swagelok, so I'd never have to sweat solder a pipe for the rest of my life. But I'm a geek.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 07-02-2009 at 10:03.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Appreciate the honesty in quoting out the front numbers rather than at the emmitter in the fridge numbers, its still not at top end of efficeincy available.

Your 20W lamp 31 l/W

12W Cree LR6 just under 55 l/W

http://www.creeledlighting.com/downloads/LR6.pdf

Guessing allocating enough heat sink real estate has something to do with it.

Welch Allyn make the Solarc line of mni metal halide

http://www.walamp.com

May be an LED head but still love halogen, the real full specftrum lamp ;-)

http://blog.cleveland.com/business/2...ventor_el.html

Adam

Default MmM LED's

I have about 35+ of these guys in my warehouse, I never knew I got some much till I started to take them down as I move.

http://www.colorkinetics.com/ls/inte...e/iwprofileg2/

Great bang for the buck, I paid $13 bucks each on sale from http://www.wiedamark.com/liquidation.aspx Every few months this link has some KILLER deals on CK stuff. I also have a number of the iw blast flood lights. Great bang for the buck. I love going from cool to warm light depending on my mood.

These caught my eye the other day:

They're pretty spendy at ~$30 a pop, but I was reading about them on another forum and the reviews were pretty good.

-Jonathan

I HATE Cfls those dim ALOT over time, I love LEDS problem is there chip weazels I hate em.

Quote Originally Posted by LovinLasers View Post
    I HATE Cfls those dim ALOT over time, I love LEDS problem is there chip weazels I hate em.
    LEDs dim over time too. The ColorKey PAR64 cans I used for a couple years continuous duty went down to about 40% of their original brightness. They lost most of it from the blue and a little from the green. I was shocked that this happened in only two years!

Newer CFLs are much better in this respect than the earlier ones. They come on quicker and flicker less too.

Quote Originally Posted by heroic View Post
    LEDs dim over time too. The ColorKey PAR64 cans I used for a couple years continuous duty went down to about 40% of their original brightness. They lost most of it from the blue and a little from the green. I was shocked that this happened in only two years!

Newer CFLs are much better in this respect than the earlier ones. They come on quicker and flicker less too.
    I'm guessing those LED pars were the old 10mm led style?

Newer ones are starting to use higher output LEDs similar to CREE. I have a 136lm cree torch, three modes - strobe, high and low. A single 1W module and it's more than enough for most different torch use, rechargeable etc. 18Hrs on low and 4hrs on high at best. Lighter and much slimmer than anything non LED driven of comparable output.
    In regards to LED fade, that's pretty interesting I must say. I have a theory on this - a mate has the same torch and it has faded to a more 'natural' light solour (more yellowy) compared to cool white that mine puts out. We have used our torches about the same amount. What I think has contributed to the large colour difference is that he has used lots of strobing... perhaps that is one of the #1 killer/degrader of LEDs?

I'm checking out currently some 1W led par versions, 56W usage 54W output... is that possible? That's a high 90's efficiency through driver and led. 480 lux @ 10m at full white.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulstorm View Post
    I'm checking out currently some 1W led par versions, 56W usage 54W output... is that possible? That's a high 90's efficiency through driver and led. 480 lux @ 10m at full white.
    LEDs are normally rated by junction power, not optical output power.

-J.