Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In Car Entertainment Sound Systems

Default In Car Entertainment Sound Systems

Remembering one of the topics a while back it seams like heres a good place to ask about in car entertainment.

I wan't to add some extra punch to the sound system in my car, when I get it that is, but to be honest I don't really have any idea on how to wire it up for a car or anything.

What kind of sub woofer should I be looking at? These pre boxed sub woofers on halfords seam like a good deal, but how are they wired? Whats the difference between passive and active? how do I get the cables from the front of the car to the boot?
    DL - Viper 75mW - Green (532nm)
    DL - 50mW Module - Green (532nm)
    DIY - 50mW - 12k Scanner - Green (532nm)

i have found that for some extra punch without breaking the budget, get a POWERED tube. it has inputs that allow for either non amplified (direct to the head unit) wiring, or wiring to the back speaker wires.

Its ALWAYS better to run it off the head unit and the power cable needs to be fused.. its not hard at all and any car amp install kit has everything you need to get started.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodies?
    Solid State Builders Group

chav alert chav alert

man up and improve the real mans sound system....... the engine!

any car dishing out below 180bhp aint worth having and you should upgrade

LOL
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

I recently helped installing a big subwoofer in a friends car. We struggled getting the cables through the "firewall" between the engine department and passenger compartment. We ended up drilling holes through rubber plugs and eventually pulling out those plugs and just taping off the resulting hole with ducktape . It works . And the result just kicks ass! Right now when he turns the sub to max his license plate starts to vibrate
    Life is short.... Ride it hard!!

Just be aware that, in the UK at least, any modification to a vehicle - and that includes installing a new sound system - must be notified to your insurance company, or you may no longer be covered. This requirement is in the small print of pretty much all vehicle insurance policies. With the credit crunch, most insurance companies will use any excuse to limit the amount they have to pay out, so beware.
    (other 'modifications' that could invalidate your cover include fitting non-standard headlight lamps and fitting a roof rack or a tow bar...)

Quote Originally Posted by keeperx View Post
    i have found that for some extra punch without breaking the budget, get a POWERED tube. it has inputs that allow for either non amplified (direct to the head unit) wiring, or wiring to the back speaker wires.

Its ALWAYS better to run it off the head unit and the power cable needs to be fused.. its not hard at all and any car amp install kit has everything you need to get started.
    Hmm right...

Whats the sound quality like though? I have seen some nice ones on ebay with built in amplifiers but again I dont know which kind they are or even if they need to be wired differently.

There is a budget of £100, maybe £150 pushing it.

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    chav alert chav alert

man up and improve the real mans sound system....... the engine!

any car dishing out below 180bhp aint worth having and you should upgrade

LOL
    Quiet you, its my first car.

Quote Originally Posted by greenalien View Post
    Just be aware that, in the UK at least, any modification to a vehicle - and that includes installing a new sound system - must be notified to your insurance company, or you may no longer be covered. This requirement is in the small print of pretty much all vehicle insurance policies. With the credit crunch, most insurance companies will use any excuse to limit the amount they have to pay out, so beware.
    (other 'modifications' that could invalidate your cover include fitting non-standard headlight lamps and fitting a roof rack or a tow bar...)
    I don't actually have the car yet. I will be buying in the next few weeks and it will be a 1.2 Corsa.

I was going to give them a call and ask before I buy the woofer as well.

Quote Originally Posted by lamborgini8 View Post
    Hmm right...

Whats the sound quality like though? I have seen some nice ones on ebay with built in amplifiers but again I dont know which kind they are or even if they need to be wired differently.

There is a budget of £100, maybe £150 pushing it.

Quiet you, its my first car.

I don't actually have the car yet. I will be buying in the next few weeks and it will be a 1.2 Corsa.

I was going to give them a call and ask before I buy the woofer as well.
    What model of corsa is it, is it the new one ?

-Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Diachi View Post
    What model of corsa is it, is it the new one ?

-Adam
    I wish...

It will most likely be a Corsa B and even then the cheapest quote I have got is £1,560 with Direct Line.

the sound of the tubes is very nice and they can handle allot of volume but what we are really talking about is frequency. The tubes resonate well and its allot of bang for the buck..

i had 2 8 inch tubes in my Tiburon and it was PLENTY
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodies?
    Solid State Builders Group

Right ok so say I got a tube then, I still need to get a power cable and another cable connecting to the HUD/rear speakers? How would I do that?

Can the carpet along the door be lifted and have a cable tucked behind it? Even If I do that, how do I get the power cable to what I would assume you connect to the battery somehow?