Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I can finally share the project I've been working on for over a year

Default I can finally share the project I've been working on for over a year

A few of you know about the project I've been working on, but now I can share it with everyone.
    For over a decade I've been a contractor for Kiteman Productions. They build large entertainment kites pulled by Waverunners for entertainment purposes. There is a driver and a pilot that sits facing backwards to fly the kite. Since it is being pulled we don't need wind.
    About a year ago I was contacted by them to design the LED lighting for the largest project they have ever done. Disney is closing the night time show at EPCOT called Reflections of Earth. They are replacing it with a short filler show called EPCOT Forever. This will give Disney time to remove the old Reflections of Earth equipment and install the new equipment for the new big show. They haven't revealed the name yet. EPCOT Forever is expected to run 8 months.

So, my job was to outfit intelligent LED's into (72) 6 ft kites with tail varying from 70-90 ft long and (14) 8 ft kites with 2 pennant tails 72 ft long. We ordered over 25000 LED modules that have 2 LED's each. The LED's are controlled via wireless DMX and powered using a LiPo battery. Each kite will launch from a barge in the EPCOT lagoon and land in the water every night. Everything must be waterproof. FYI after 30 years of pyro being dropped into the lagoon it has some very unique corrosive properties. This was a major challenge and still is. Oh and the kites have pyrotechnics on them too that is remotely triggered.

I have been working 7 days a week since Sept 2 and many days were 12-18 hrs long. This is a labor of love.
    The show opened 10/1.

Here is the link to the show if you want to see.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXGENzdg29U
    The kites start at 14:09 and again at 18:19

Chris
    Last edited by Lazerjock; 10-07-2019 at 02:32.

Nice! - especially, when they're sparking

Viktor
    Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?426
    Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?425

Quote Originally Posted by VDX View Post
    Nice! - especially, when they're sparking

Viktor
    Thank you! I worked very hard on this...... and still am.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazerjock View Post
    Thank you! I worked very hard on this...... and still am.
    That's pretty cool Chris. I am sure it is very rewarding to see it come to life and the crowd's reaction and know you helped create it. The bit about the corrosive lagoon is somewhat disturbing. but interesting.

How do they handle the noise from all of those wave runners? Are they quieter than normal wave runners or do they just run them slow enough not to make a lot of noise?

I need to get back to Disney/Orlando before my kids get too big.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    That's pretty cool Chris. I am sure it is very rewarding to see it come to life and the crowd's reaction and know you helped create it. The bit about the corrosive lagoon is somewhat disturbing. but interesting.

How do they handle the noise from all of those wave runners? Are they quieter than normal wave runners or do they just run them slow enough not to make a lot of noise?

I need to get back to Disney/Orlando before my kids get too big.
    The Waverunners are unmodified except for navigation lights, a seat belt for the backwards facing kite pilot and a quick release tow point where the kites connect. They are far enough away and the music is loud enough that you don't even know they are there.

FYI they are going 40 MPH in the dark to fly the severely overweight kites. The 8 ft kite with the 72 ft tails weighs 22 LBS. The (5) 6 ft kites weigh 10 LBS each. Total for the 5 stack is 50 LBS.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazerjock View Post
    The Waverunners are unmodified except for navigation lights, a seat belt for the backwards facing kite pilot and a quick release tow point where the kites connect. They are far enough away and the music is loud enough that you don't even know they are there.

FYI they are going 40 MPH in the dark to fly the severely overweight kites. The 8 ft kite with the 72 ft tails weighs 22 LBS. The (5) 6 ft kites weigh 10 LBS each. Total for the 5 stack is 50 LBS.
    Sounds safe to me.

Very cool.. Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ImageLight View Post
    Very cool.. Chris
    Thanks Mark I appreciate it.

Wow over the top. I was there years ago and all they had was a laser show with dying lasers and a fireworks show that was mediocre. This is something else!

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    Wow over the top. I was there years ago and all they had was a laser show with dying lasers and a fireworks show that was mediocre. This is something else!
    Thanks Mark I appreciate it.