Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Casio RED Led

@ el gringo loco
    No mon! You got the Blob confused with somebody else! I didn't write any of that! You don't owe me any apology.

Thanx @HM about the thermistor. I'll mess with that idea. Been on a learning binge 2day! Next you'll have me messing with peltiers, I just know it!
    Last edited by solderblob; 12-26-2010 at 18:52.
    ----------------------------------------
    Peace, the Blob

Remember! If it works, fiddlewith it till it don't!

I'll answer that now with what I have. I tried the TEC at ~ 3 Volts giving ~0.5 Amps and it cools well. It will take more when I go for 10 Amps and the heat sink will likely need the 12 Volt fan.
    At this point, you can light up the cavity and watch the beams. Start with the red and then use a lower powered Blue to follow that beam and see the green it makes with that disc. Fun stuff to watch and learn.

HMike

Default ...by-gum, you're right!

Sir SB -

Quote Originally Posted by solderblob View Post
    No mon! You got the Blob confused with somebody else! ...You don't owe me any apology.
    OIC, thanks for the correction... yer right, the man that needed the apology was:

Quote Originally Posted by Hemlock Mike View Post
    OK, LIKE - You Know...
    Mr. Steve Martin! That's some 5-Star mocking, there, Chief... Totally awesome!

Has anyone found an optic which will focus that diode as in flashlight beam?
    Challenge is, 'capturing' it all, first... ie:

...and as they mention, there, "as the height H increases the collimation improves..." So, trick is to find a collimator with a 'wide-enough mouth' to engulf the phlat emitter, with a nice 'long-cup', ie:

You can contact RPC on cost / avail of theirs, or, feel free to peruse this place - lots of options: http://www.anglia-lighting.com/produ...earch&offset=0

You could also try what 'meatball' proposed, but use a very-short fl plano-convex (like 1mm fl) and after the 'beam-waist', collimate using an aspheric-doublet, like is found in a typical fiber-optic output coupler... Point is, I see the best-results coming from a multi-element set-up...

If I ever get around to testing some ideas I had in trying to rig-up an 'RGB emulator', like I had posted-there, I'll post any successful / helpful-results...

Again, sorry for the 'spamlink', just thought it might be helpful to-know...

L8r...
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

nice post el gringo loco.
    ----------------------------------------
    Peace, the Blob

Remember! If it works, fiddlewith it till it don't!

Default Phlatlight

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...433SQ-36AEV-ND

May be the driver that was mentioned , this board is what is supplied with the 4 channel evaluation kit for the cbm-380, iirc.

If you got the whole projector and harvested the led out of it you should also be able to find some nice optics buried in there.

I'm working making a couple of light engines with the cbm-380. Still working on just getting the thing powered at the moment, though.

I'll be mounting it on a heatsink with a peltier and using the thermistor to regulate the junction temperature of the dies. Color mixing will likely be done with dmx.

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    Officer Jerry -

Interesting, but I guess I'm ing your WTF, cause...

I had thought it would be 'obvious', that posting a link in this thread (about the Casio LED) to another thread, where I am offering one (of these very same LEDs), along with all the 'other goodies' from an A-140 carcass (except for the diodes), would have been seen-as 'helpful info'...

...you know, like if, say, someone 'accidentally fried-one' in testing or decided they wanted two of them, to like, 'build a 'DarthMaul LED-sabre', or wanted another-one of the OEM-supplies to test / experiment - you know, just as a 'pointer to a source' for one, 'on the cheap'...

I mean, if this had been my thread, I would have simply been like, 'hey, thanks for the 411', and just tucked the info-away for a rainy day....

...But, you're right - it ain't my thread, so - I have deleted the post, and I ask the jury to strike all mention of the offense from the record... Sir HMike, 1000-apologies...

Yeah, I guess also mistakenly forget that likely most peeps, around here are probably not old enough to remember 'slang-refs' from the 60s / 70s... My bad...

Sorry, again, HM... All the best to you...
    j
    ROFLMAO..... "Officer Jerry"....

No offence intended....

I was confused about the post.... For some reason it made no sense
    last night.. Re-Reading it this morning after my 1st coffee it becomes
    clearer and I see what you were trying to say...

The "WTF"... only relayed my utter confusion last night.... Sorry Jon...

Jerry
    See the LaserBee II and all other LaserBee LPM products here....
    All LaserBee Laser Power Meter Products

New 3.2Watt RS232/USB LaserBee II LPM REVIEW

Always in stock and ready to ship....
    Subsidary:-Pharma Electronic Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by platinum View Post
    I hear tell of a driver for these that one can purchase from DigiKey. I'll look into it.

-Jonathan
    http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...k=led%20driver

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by lasersbee View Post
    ROFLMAO..... "Officer Jerry".... No offence intended....
    None taken... Glad you took my 'retort' in good-spirits, as-intented... ...This, uh, 'Bud' (?)'s fer U..

Sorry again for all the 'noise', Mike...
    ..back to the LED-channel...

j

PS - I did-find one of the aspheric-doublets I was thinking might possibly wrangle this things' output into a fairly-decent beamish-beam, with just 'one optic'... buuut, I forgot it at the shop.. doh! I'll have to get it later..
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

It's good to see optics info for this LED. Someone mentioned a driver....
    Look into the driver modules made by TI such as the PTH08T250W
    This small module is a switcher and can take 4.5 to 14 VDC input and put out 0.7 to 3.6 VDC at 50 AMPS !!!!!!!
    They also work good for LD bar assemblies.

HMike

It's good to see optics info for this LED. Someone mentioned a driver....
    Look into the driver modules made by TI such as the PTH08T250W
    This small module is a switcher and can take 4.5 to 14 VDC input and put out 0.7 to 3.6 VDC at 50 AMPS !!!!!!!
    They also work good for LD bar assemblies.

HMike
    HMike...
    IIRC...You can get free samples from TI...

Jerry
    See the LaserBee II and all other LaserBee LPM products here....
    All LaserBee Laser Power Meter Products

New 3.2Watt RS232/USB LaserBee II LPM REVIEW

Always in stock and ready to ship....
    Subsidary:-Pharma Electronic Solutions