Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Chroma - a laser color blender

Very nice software! thanks for sharing.

It motivated me to add 200mW 405 to my projector to get a nicer white.

Thanks. Keep in mind 405 nm makes the beam look a bit weird as it's hard to focus on. At least for me. It does have a significant impact on the color though. Mixing deep red and violet gives some amazing colors.

Quote Originally Posted by laserist View Post
    smokin' along at 51.2 KB/sec...
    Hehe, guessing you don't live in Europe. I get 5-6 MB/s, but I live only 2 km from the server.

The speed is very ok! I really do love my 100/100Mbit fiber connection.
    Thanks Tocket for this excellent and interesting piece of software.

Quote Originally Posted by tocket View Post
    Thanks. Keep in mind 405 nm makes the beam look a bit weird as it's hard to focus on. At least for me.
    How thick is your 405 beam?, if its a normal 5mm beam it makes sense becouse it fatter than your other beams.

I have replaced my original aixis lenses with 5mm beam for special lenses with 1mm beam diameter and 0,8mrad and this made a huge improvement for my red and color mixing

Is the beam diameter not an factor that's relevant to the color table?

Quote Originally Posted by hobbybob View Post
    The speed is very ok! I really do love my 100/100Mbit fiber connection.
    Thanks Tocket for this excellent and interesting piece of software.
    Nice to see that people down on the continent can enjoy the high speed as well. Wish I had 100/100 myself, 50/10 (cable) is the best I can get.

Quote Originally Posted by mccarrot View Post
    How thick is your 405 beam?, if its a normal 5mm beam it makes sense becouse it fatter than your other beams.

I have replaced my original aixis lenses with 5mm beam for special lenses with 1mm beam diameter and 0,8mrad and this made a huge improvement for my red and color mixing
    I only made a temporary setup to test 405 and 532 nm mixing. You're right though, the beams didn't quite match. Especially since it was a low power green laser with a tight beam. Those are some very impressive specs for a direct injection laser though. Care to share what lens it is you're using?

Regardless, I have trouble focusing on a 405 nm beam alone as well, so I suspect the problem is in fact in the wavelength. Or rather, a combination of the nearsightedness I seem to have developed lately and the wavelength.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberb0b View Post
    Is the beam diameter not an factor that's relevant to the color table?
    It is relevant, yes. I chose not to include it and many other factors that also may or may not have an effect for the sake of simplicity. A perfect beam is assumed. In most cases that's close enough.

It is of course possible to calculate the impact of different beam geometries, distributions and alignments separately. Then enter the spectral power distribution for different positions in the beam in my application to get a more accurate color.

The lenses are aspherical glass lenses available with broadband and red AR coating.

I have purchased them from Pritzler.

They are about 50 euro/pc , but compared to the Rötner Lens27 it got better specs.

Lens27 got 1,5mRad
    this lens 0,8mrad
    and only 1% loss on the optics and it comes with the complete diode mount.
    the beam will be 1mm x 2mm so very good for stacking 2 beams on top of each other.

Lightbulb

Could it be possible to add some more functionality to the calculated cumulative luminous flux ?
    I can imagine that the term luminous flux is not that clear for many users.
    You could add a functionality that that says:

This cumulative luminous flux of 7698 lm equals the brightness of a single [enter wavelength here]nm beam.

For many (starting) laserists who want to know how their rgb projector compares to a single 532 projector, this might be a valuable addition.

That's pretty easy to add, but I can only compare luminance, not brightness. Two beams of equal luminance don't necessarily have the same brightness. It's a bit complicated. I can certainly imagine that people have trouble understanding these weird units and concepts. Even I do.

Do you think the user should be able to choose what wavelength to compare it against or should I simply set it to 532 nm?

532 would make sense, but then again it would be useful to be able compare say 671nm with 445 or 405 for instance.
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.