Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tron type costumes...looking for a way to have dancers in LED DMX controlled lighting

Default tron type costumes...looking for a way to have dancers in LED DMX controlled lighting

I am wanting to put 4-6 dancers in a routine on stage and have them in Light up suits/costumes. I want to be able to control each dancer's lighting though through a routine however...Mainly, on and off, but if other options are possible I would like that as well.

Is this possible? If so, any advice on how to start piecing this together would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Are you looking for the exact same look as Tron, i.e. electroluminescent wire (EL Wire), or are you open to LEDs?

It does not have to be the same look as I would like it to have it's own unique look and concept. LEDs I assume would be the way to go. I have seen the 1-3watt LED rolls (like rope light) that can be fully DMX controlled, but have to be connected to something, which would not work for the dancers.

ALso, is the EL Wire based on additional light hitting it? (lights up with black light) I am wanting the light source to come from the person.

The LED strip can be remote controlled using wireless DMX modules, though as far as I know, no one actually makes an integrated wireless system yet.

I built one a while ago for a DJ i work with occasionally that ran of a large RC car battery and was good for a few hours. RGB led strip and wdmx control so I could change the colour of his suit to match the rest of the lighting rig.
    Wasn't a difficult build, but wasn't cheap! But i do have a large stock of Wdmx modules from my lighting buisness... If you're having to buy in from the ground up, WDMX stuff is pretty expensive.
    Maybe there's a PixelPusher mod for Wi-Fi?
    If in doubt... Give it a clout?

EL Wire is battery powered, and is what was used for the suits in the latest Tron movie. It is cool stuff, but you are stuck with one color. LEDs on the other hand give you more color choices, but you will see the little dots & they are only flexible in one direction. You can use wireless DMX as Wookie suggested, but many of the LED tape light manufacturers offer a wireless solution right out of the box. While it won't be as flexible as a DMX solution, it will be MUCH cheaper than using WDMX. BTW, where are you located?

-Eric

EL also fades rapidly with use and time, and isn't a sharp narrowband colour. For a movie that's ok, it only has to last long enough to film it, then enhancement can be done afterwards. If you want a reliable live show, easily visible, LEDs are the way to go.

EL power supplies use low current high volts AC. Do you really want your dancers complaining of electronic ants in their pants?

For LED-lit fibre, try abrading the outside of an unclad fibre gently to impair its total internal reflection just a bit, so you get a fairly even escape of light along a long length. That might be cheap and very effective.

If you could do it with a Pixel Pusher, that would be awesome! It has ethernet, so maybe do it via osc?

I quite liked this suit, although it doesn't flash.

That suit is awesome!!!

Lumiknight makes the giant suits like the one that Kryoman has. I am sure you can have it built with a wireless DMX receiver, and use DMX LED tape and have a battery backpack.
    Robert Sanders
    RAGErLAZER Laser Shows
    ------------------------------
    4x 8w RGB DT40pro
    2x 4.5w RGB DT30
    2x 2.5w RGB DT30