Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: FTP Wiped

Default FTP Wiped

Hi Spec have you spring cleaned the FTP server because overnight all files have disappeared - the folders are empty.

I'd put one up for Alexey @ Pangolin but it disappeared.

It doesn't actually matter because I'm putting it back now this time into a folder and I will remove it when hes got it (I always clean up after myself to save your bandwidth / storage capacity) but I just thought I should give it a mention in case someone has been in clearing out files without authorisation.

EDIT: I TAKE IT BACK - IT NOW LOOKS MALICIOUS. ALL FOLDERS ARE SHOWING 4KB ONLY WHICH SUGGESTS EVERYTHING HAS BEEN DELETED.

I've put my new file for Alexey in the Videos folder btw.

Fuck me running.

I'm on it.

My local backup is corrupt, can't extract and the repair fails. This is the last time I use tar for heavy lifting.

Having the host look into whether there is an actual backup anywhere they can restore from and if not I will need to get in touch with someone here who kept a copy... There are a few that did that.

It doesn't appear to be a user here that wiped everything out, looks automated. .htaccess files with extremely fucked up rules are in every directory and all the files are gone save those thousand or so new .htaccess files.

i have quite a bit of the ilda files backed up if you want those i can give you those. i also have some documentation backed up as well.

I have made a copy last year, including the ILDA Swap which i uploaded a few months ago.
    Have a 100MBit up/down connection at home (fiber).
    So if you need any help just shout.

I can start uploading tonight if you want, i will be up for the next 4 to 5 hours.

greetz,
    Dimitri
    I didn't fail !
    I just found out 10,000 ways that didn't work.

Thumbs up Definatly worth the smiley of envy...

Quote Originally Posted by hobbybob View Post
    Have a 100MBit up/down connection at home (fiber).

Last edited by allthatwhichis; 10-24-2010 at 12:37. Reason: :)
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post

No kidding I am greener than my Argon.

Where DO you get those incredible smileys from ?

Cheers

Once this gets sorted; I'd be happy to keep a mirror and/or host it on moppy.net.

Plenty of space and bandwidth.

If you sent me an ftp account and login i can start uploading in the morning?
    Always nice to have a backup place where people can go if the other source disappears/goes down etc.
    I didn't fail !
    I just found out 10,000 ways that didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by catalanjo View Post
    Where DO you get those incredible smileys from ?
    I keep a collection in one of my albums; I keep tellin everyone I have them to be used by all.

Wink

Problem with upload of .htaccess files already existed on old ildaswap-server and we've told the admin a couple of times.
    Not really a problem because the ftp protocol does not execute them, they are only used by a webserver that is delivering http. So if any of these directories can be seen via http YOU MIGHT HAVE A SERIOUS SECURITY PROBLEM!

A good admin would do the following things:
    - never ever run the ftp-server process as root (!) (yep, I've seen it)
    - deny upload of all system files like .htaccess and everything else beginning with a dot
    - only allow upload of certain file extensions (.zip, .rar)
    - strict rights mangement: allow upload and download only, no move/overwrite/delete/execute for anonymous/default users
    - allow upload in one upload-folder only, nominate 2-3 moderators with ftp knowledge and give them extended rights that can move these uploaded files to the right places, check them for consistence/viruses/etc. (I hereby apply).
    - disallow download from this upload folder to prevent unchecked material from being distributed. remember: the owner of the server is responsible for the content! if somebody uploads cp for example you won't have many excuses.
    - disallow any fancy filenames with special chars as these are often used to create hidden directories (see fxp'ing)
    - log which files were uploaded from which ip-address. block ip's/ip-ranges spamming the server.
    - also be aware that the distribution of copyrighted material can get you into trouble

So please.... get your server config right!
    Last edited by decix; 10-25-2010 at 00:25.