Page 35 of 41 FirstFirst ... 25313233343536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: Pangolin Beyond Info Thread

I was in a similar situation. We have computers all over the place. Kind of a club med for geeks. Some of the teenagers wanted to write/create shows to be loaded on to the laser controlling computer and I thought why not let them work on the software? The idea was to generate some interesting shows by letting several people create in parallel. The shut downs were a hassle ( I thought it was a beta version glitch) and we just dropped the idea. Maybe I should contact P and see if they are OK with freeing us from this restriction.

Quote Originally Posted by andyh View Post
    Every 6 log-ins?
    That's not very helpful! Is there likely to be a way around it for the situation i described in my post?
    I really don't want to be carrying my FB3 with me on my hols...
    Andy, please contact us directly about this and we'll explore possible solutions. If we can't make it work in a way that is acceptable to you, then we'll refund your money but let you keep the software. It's as simple as that...

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    It effectively stops you installing Betond on a mates computer, activating it once, and them having full access ever after. Although without a dac, I'm not sure how much use that is, other than perhaps encouraging the person buy some Pangolin hardware because they like the software so much.
    Correct!!!

Here's a few points.

1. Pangolin absolutely hates Dongles. You should to... (Imagine getting to a gig and remembering your computer and your laser controller hardware, but forgetting the Dongle...)

2. We'd like to be able to allow people to use the software without Dongles, and also without hardware connected. It seems like others would also like that.

3. In the case of QuickShow, it is "Free software". You buy our FB3 hardware, and we give you QuickShow for free. So we have no problem allowing it to run on a PC forever, without further activation (after seeing the FB3 once).

4. In the case of BEYOND, it is very much not free software. It involves 12 man years of development and currently tops 2 million lines of code.

5. Since BEYOND is not free, and also since we don't like Dongles, we need to have a way of allowing people to run BEYOND without hardware, but also -- as Norty said -- prevent a situation where someone buys only a single copy and then installs it on everyone's computer, and then connects their FB3 to everyone's computer only once. Picture Photon Lexicon meeting with 40 people, LaserFreak meeting with 80 people, or ILDA meeting with 120 people (if all members showed up).

So what is the answer to all of this? The answer we came up with is allowing the software to run "for a limited time". The question is -- how to manifest that "limited time". We're willing to make adjustments on this, and we'd appreciate feedback.

If someone has suggestions as to exactly how many times the software can run, we'd love to hear it (directly). And if someone has suggestions about how long the software can run (i.e. how many days, or weeks or whatever) without hardware, we'd love to hear it (directly).

Please participate!! Help make the software better!! When you give good feedback it helps us to adjust the software to make the software more to your liking!!

Bill
    Last edited by Pangolin; 05-03-2012 at 21:36.

I've been playing around with BEYOND the last few days and it's amazing to say the least.

Yes, the UI is very similar to Quickshow, but there is definitely a heap more features that are really useful, such as scripting.

The 3D animation editor is top notch also, going to take a bit of learning to figure out, but just playing around in it is a heap of fun.

Can't wait to see some shows start coming out for it. Wish I was more of a creative person myself

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorBeatz View Post

The first one is "how did I do this"?
    That's just a morph. If you right-click on a cue and look at properties, this is a property of the animation.

Alternatively if this is done using a sequence of frames, then it is done in the drawing editor. If you have two frames, or some number of frames, and you click on ANIMATE in the top toolbar button, then you will see that you have the ability to select a start frame and end frame, and give the animator a number of frames over which to animation, and the frame editor will automatically create the morph for you.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    automatic splitting of images
    As in a single pattern moving across multiple zones without the need to break it up into multiple patterns? This is very cool, where could I find this feature in Beyond?

Mr Bill Benner says ;

"Plus, posting "complaints" on forums gets individuals somewhat of a reputation at Pangolin, and it's a reputation you generally don't want to have... "

WOW !

Lasermad, I think the term Bill/Pangolin was looking for is called "Shit List" Or " BlackListed"

Quote Originally Posted by araugh View Post
    As in a single pattern moving across multiple zones without the need to break it up into multiple patterns? This is very cool, where could I find this feature in Beyond?
    If it's what i think it is, then you can't unless you have one of the very latest test builds. It's also still under wraps so can't be talked about publicly just so you get wind of what I'm saying.

Bill .... im reading this 2 ways ....

5. Since BEYOND is not free, and also since we don't like Dongles, we need to have a way of allowing people to run BEYOND without hardware, but also -- as Norty said -- prevent a situation where someone buys only a single copy and then installs it on everyone's computer, and then connects their FB3 to everyone's computer only once. Picture Photon Lexicon meeting with 40 people, LaserFreak meeting with 80 people, or ILDA meeting with 120 people (if all members showed up).
    Are you saying that at our meetings its a benefit to be able to install it on others computers to try out on a commercial basis ( for limited use ).... or are you saying that 240 people at these meetings would happily use your software for free and never pay you ..... if its the latter Bill ..... im gutted ... because we here on PL have been against software piracy for many years ... we have many threads where we have done our best to keep software legal ..... i remember the PCI "pangofire" copy PCB that was being touted on here ... we reported it to you as soon as it happened .....

if you belive this is the sort of thing that we would do then you have got it very wrong ..... to quote mythbusters ..... "I reject your reality and substitute my own"

all the best

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Lasermad View Post
    Mr Bill Benner says ;

"Plus, posting "complaints" on forums gets individuals somewhat of a reputation at Pangolin, and it's a reputation you generally don't want to have... "

WOW !

it almost seems like a threat?!
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat