Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Preserving Laser Show History: Video/Laser III

Adam, that is awesome. What a FUN project. I am crossing my fingers that you can get it all fired up. I really hope the ion comes to life, or you can find another to pump photons through that projector.

You basically have a laserium projector sittling in your living room. From what I can see they are kissing cousins. The chances are good that Ivan was inspired by what you now have in your poession and led to laserium. And that led to AVI, image engineering, laser fantasy....

And, us.

Would love to see some good close up pics of the head.

I hope you have a analog o-scope

Chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Lets clarify some things,

. This unit is headed for a museum, some how, some where. We have calls out, some leads, but are looking for qualified, interested, institutions to host it.

This is not a toy, it is a significant piece of art history. Admittedly, most places that can take it would like to see it run, or a facsimile scan head running next to it, with the prism chain lit up. So it may see light once again.

Bringing a Supergraphite tube back, "Just because we can" is not a good idea when stresses or stress reliefs that occur in long term storage, can split the tube. Yes, I can purchase a 450$ fill actuator from Cryolabs and flush any bad gas, then set the initial tube pressure high enough that it will probably not crack, but this is a historic tube. There are enough 52s and 54s out there, or I90-2 tubes that may drop in to the existing cradles, that is it not worth endangering the significant tube.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 01-30-2011 at 12:09.

Excellent job Adam...thanks for your efforts in preserving this!

A big thanks to all assisting in this project as well!

Greg
    Last edited by Displaser; 01-30-2011 at 18:45.
    "Information not shared, is information lost forever"

Join ILDA
    Support Photonlexicon

Yes, thanks one and all for all the time and effort put into this! Somebody has to save this stuff. 50 years from now it'll be appreciated. Maybe 25.

Thanks for all the great comments and interest guys. I posted some new pics of the beam table. See above. Lots more to come....

Default Thank you

Dear Adam, et al:

I'm Karen, the daughter of Lowell Cross, and I can't thank you enough for taking my father's laser system into your care. When I looked at how you documented its acquisition and how enthusiastic you are, it warmed my heart and made me realize how much you care about this important slice of Lowell Cross and Cross Family history and finding the right home for the laser. It reminds me of how proud of my father's accomplishments and contributions to art, music, and science, and how truly grateful I am that he passed on the "torch" to you.

I'm looking forward to following Video/Laser III on its journey!

A million thanks,

Karen Cross Durham

Hello Karen -

Quote Originally Posted by KarenCrossDurham View Post
    Dear Adam, et al:
    How very nice of you to take the time to post this! Your trust in Adam is well-placed, and "we" (I'm also one of the team-members, looking into a 'home' for this legacy...
    will give it the level-of care it-deserves... Thanks to you and your Father for entrusting us with its' preservation...

I come from 'the old school', myself; 'cut my teeth' on ions and other 'legacy-systems' in the show-industry, and I truly can appreciate the craftsmanship of this system, and am thrilled to be even a small part of preserving and showcasing it for future generations... Currently, talking with staff of the Strasenburgh Planetarium / Science-Center in Rochester, NY... We will certainly keep you up to date with any progress...

Jon
    Last edited by dsli_jon; 02-11-2011 at 01:09.
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Great Job Adam.

Those pictures of the beam table are amazing, this laser is a work of art and deserves to be in a National Museum never mind a local one.

Don't you have a National Science Museum or anything similar to the one we have over here in London?

http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/visitmuseum.aspx

Would be great to see that laser in a National Museum in say eg. Washington (or wherever yours are located).

However, I'm not knocking your efforts here, any museum is great especially if a local one guarantees its display rather than it being filed away under a building in the National Archives.

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    Don't you have a National Science Museum
    Indeed, it deserves to be in the Smithsonian... http://americanhistory.si.edu/exhibi...=38&exkey=1460

...their answer to requests for discussion about this legacy? "info@smithsonian.com" (aka: take a number, don't call us, we'll call you...) ..Anyplace else is, well, 'local'...

The Exploratorium, up in San Fran, CA, here, would also be a great home, but alas, they're 'moving' inside of 2 years, and it's chaos, right now, for them...
    they said "call us in 2.5 yrs..."

We'll keep after the Smithsonian... I mean, sheesh - http://americanhistory.si.edu/news/p...9&newskey=1255 I'm all-about a great deck, and all - I always cherished my 'P+P' / Bones, but come-on - laser shows are cooler than skating, ok?

We'll get there...
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

(W-O-W ! ! !)n
    I think value of that baby should be at least over $ 100,000 !!!
    W - O - N - D - E - R - F - U - L creature!
    It's a great experience to you Adam!
    You lucky man!
    my webpage
    http://stevemilani.jimdo.com
    Skype ID: stevemilani957

my RGB analogue projectors:
    3.9 W (640/532/445) 30kpps
    2.6 W (655/532/450) 30kpps
    2.5 W (638/532/450) 30kpps
    0.7 W (test unit)(635/532/473) 18kpps