Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Question about anamorphic prisms

Kar....I use the Anamorphic prism pair....combined with these lenses from O-Like...
    http://www.o-like.com/index.php?main...index&cPath=55
    405/450nm laser coated collimation lens /glass/three layer @ $ 7.39ea
    While this lens does clip the beam...a small amount....like about 5% output reduction....
    IMNSHO....it is the BEST for collimation of the mm 445 nm......
    It doesn't matter if your secondary corrections are Dave's cylindericals.....or his Anamorphic prisms....
    THIS collimation lens gives me the tighetest beam !!!

As to the question of Anamorphic Prisms vs the Cylinderical lenses.....I have always used the Anamorphic prisms...with the 445's
    ..and find them to the eaisest to set up. Loss is about equal with either....BUT....there is a " sweet spot " for both systems...

With the prism's....if you attempt to magnify the fast axis too much....you will have a noticable drop in power !!

With the Cylindericals....there is a VERY small sweet spot for placement distance between the Plano Concave and
    Plano Convex lens....+/- .1mm....you can see the farfield geometry divergence open up !!!

Take away....the cylindericals are more demanding to set up....so....why screw with them ???
    I will add....that some PL'ers have had issues with the Anamorphics and power loss ??? I have used Dave's prisms....and have had no issue with PO loss.

Good luck !! CDBEAM=======>
    Last edited by CDBEAM; 09-01-2013 at 15:46. Reason: Typo/added info
    Beam Axiom #1 ~The Quantum well is DEEP ! Photons for ALL !!
    Beam Axiom #2 ~Yes...As a matter of fact...I DO wear tinfoil on my head !!
    Beam Axiom #3 ~Whe'n dout...Po ah Donk awn et !!
    Beam Axiom #4 ~A Chicken in every Pot, and a Laser Lumia in every Livingroom !!
    Beam Axiom #5 ~"Abstract Photonic Expressionism"....is "Abstractonimical" !!
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

Hey ya CD

For the P73 is it still Dave's small FL lens?
    Tha ks
    leading in trailing technology

Hi John...ya...The 2mm Collimation lens from Dave still is the best...It is a PITA to work with...being SOoooo small....But....as far as I am concerned...tames the nasty P73......THE BEST !!!! I seem to remember that Dave will secure the lens....for a fair per piece price??? Then again...I could be full 'o' crap ??? !!! When I do the job ...I drop the 2mm lens into the cup recess atop the brass retainer....and then use the " Doc Brown" magnifing glasses....see pic hahaha....and use a wooden toothpic to push epoxy 'round the lens perimeter ...It is a nerve racking job....and one must push a minute amount of clear epoxy around the lens....yet get NONE on the lens dome !!! Yikes !! I needa a shot of JD's to calm my twitch !!

CDBEAM=======>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DocBrown 2.jpg  

Last edited by CDBEAM; 09-01-2013 at 19:21. Reason: Typo-DUH
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

Yeh the 2mm aspheric lens (tiny lil' thing) from Dave's store is still the best, coupled with cyl lenses (a couple of options there) .. But CDB's right .. make sure it's in right side in and square then tiny dabs of epoxy on the very edges w/ the tooth-pick (5-minute epoxy will move things around at the last minute(s) of hardening so apply small amount of pressure w/ the toothpick to the top o' the domed part of the lens before it hardens. It is nerve-wracking but after a few under the belt, not too bad ..

What side are you guys calling the dome? The convex or concave? I guess ya seeing the dome from the inside or outside ?
    leading in trailing technology

Quote Originally Posted by polishedball View Post
    What side are you guys calling the dome? The convex or concave? I guess ya seeing the dome from the inside or outside ?
    There are no concave surfaces on this aspheric lens. I'll see if I can dig up the thread where Dave gives instructions on the installation of this lens to the special mount . There may be something about it on his site too ..

Yaaa....I've been looking on the " Grail Thread" ...TOOOooooo damm long.....I am sure the convex ( dome ) surface is placed up and away from the mount seat....AND....the dome surface faces outward.....away from the P73 propagation....IIRC....been awhile since I glued one in !! Dave...is this correct ?????
    BEAM

If it's anything like the slightly larger lens (4mm total diameter, acrylic asphere) that I use it's got a large convex side facing outward, and a much smaller convex bump on an otherwise flat side facing inwards. I've seen some lenses with a very slightly concave side facing the laser too, but the big bulge was always pointing outward in every case I've seen.

hello,
    what diode 5.6mm diameter has the best beam quality?
    M140 or OSRAM TB450
    and think of the Nichia 450nm diode, but in 9mm, is that its price is justified?
    thank you,

M140 vs Osram TB450: I think the Osram has a bit better beam quality. It replaced an M140 in my projector. I think it gives a more uniform beam. I think it looks great for graphics. Is it "single-mode good" or "DPSS good" not really but it is passible. I am not sure on this and I have no doubt I am incorrect but I think it has a smaller emitter than the M140. As far as the 9MM, I have never used those and this may be sacrilegious to utter here but I haven't needed anything that powerful.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.