Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: cheap optical breadboards!

I have one, it is handy, just tap the holes whenever you need one. The centers don't matter really, I like them. It is like havering a double density board and you can fit more stuff on it!
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

My Plate was
    6061-T6 Aluminum Plate .190" x 24" x 24" $36.12

I cut it down to 16" x 24" and now I have a nice chunk of scrap to use for mounting

Hrm, already got mine, that was quick! Not sure if I'm going to tap the holes or just put screws & nuts all the way through since the thing is only .25" thick, or would you guys recommend against that.

Laser Ben, what sort of tap did you use? I have a screw on my desk from a regular 2-post computer rack that I think is 10-32 or maybe 12-24, and that looks like it would be a good fit.

Edit: The screw on my desk is 10-32, which I guess is 0.19". The seller said the holes were untapped .19" so I think that's it. Maybe I'll run to the local Home Depot and look for a tap.
    Last edited by ajohnson30; 05-07-2007 at 14:48.

Quote Originally Posted by ajohnson30 View Post
    Hrm, already got mine, that was quick! Not sure if I'm going to tap the holes or just put screws & nuts all the way through since the thing is only .25" thick, or would you guys recommend against that.

Laser Ben, what sort of tap did you use? I have a screw on my desk from a regular 2-post computer rack that I think is 10-32 or maybe 12-24, and that looks like it would be a good fit.

Edit: The screw on my desk is 10-32, which I guess is 0.19". The seller said the holes were untapped .19" so I think that's it. Maybe I'll run to the local Home Depot and look for a tap.
    Yes you can tap them 10-32. I have also used 1/4-20 tap on these holes just keep your tape oiled.
    "Gravity its not just a good idea its the law"

They're back!! For any that missed them:

11x12 http://cgi.ebay.com/OPTICS-ROBOTICS-...QQcmdZViewItem

11x21 http://cgi.ebay.com/LASER-DIODE-ROBO...QQcmdZViewItem

Oh, I picked up a 10/32 tap for $4. Haven't tried it out yet though

Yeah I just emailed Tom (that eBay seller) and asked him if he had any more available or any larger models available. He responded back saying that he had one larger one besides the 2 sizes already listed. But then he wrote back again saying that he didn't realize they had all sold already so he listed a bunch more!

So I just bought one! Also Tom is really nice and responds very quickly to emails if you have any questions.

I have just found THIS on ebay.

WOW! 3/4 inch thick! It weighs 28 pounds!

Talk about a rock-solid table! That thing shouldn't ever flex.

Adam

Dang, that's tempting

Lightbulb

That thing is a BEAST... Shipping to me came out to almost $40. Not a portable projector board huh?