Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: my laser and galvo problem

here you go adam, I just used the wifes camera, its come out better, and the wife was holding the board for me

the two galvos feel different when I move them by hand. the x seems to step, where as the y seems to rotate freely
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CRIM0502.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    They look a lot like the scanco 20s, but different mirrors. Amps and all look close. That is my unprofessional opinion though.
    You are right tho

http://www.lasershowparts.com/files/.../SCANECO20.pdf
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Hmmm...when everything is operational galvo just can't do angles like that. I don't know what it is. It's either galvo motor itself or driver. Can't say for sure.
    I hired an Italian guy to do my wires. Now they look like spaghetti!

thanks for the docs. The importer is sending me a new set of scanners and amps, but I`d like to trace the fault before i swop them out.

Cool

Hi Noiseboy;

OK; much better picture. Unfortunately, the component that I thought was the overload unit is actually something else. That doesn't mean that they don't have one, but it's not jumping out at me like it does on the DT-40 amp.

I've tested/reviewed a set of these ScanEco 20 galvos, and I never had them cut out like you described. My experience was that you could drive them pretty hard, in fact. I was quite surprised at the wide scan angle and quality image I was able to get from them. (I didn't try to run them any faster than 20K, but I did re-tune them to tweak their performance.)

That sticking spot you described on the X galvo sounds like a bad bearing, or at least one that is going bad. Though it could be caused by a condition that Bill Benner calls "crunchy bearings"; a sticky spot caused by glue residue from the cyanoacrylate adhesive they use on the rotor. Such a spot might be creating enough drag on the rotor to increase the current draw, which then trips the overload circuit.

When the X galvo fails, if you power them down, wait a second or two, and then power them back up, does the problem *ALWAYS* correct itself? If so, it's definitely the overload circuit kicking in. If not - if they sometimes stay in the stuck position until you physically move the rotor shaft - then the bearing is completely shot. (But even a sticky bearing can still be causing the overload to trip...)

Glad to hear you're getting a new set sent out to you. Check the rotors when you get them. See if they move freely like your Y galvo does now.

Adam

thanks adam, its the otherway round, its the y mirror that sticks.

Resetting the power dosn`y always cure the problem, but moving it by hand does.

As soon as the new ones arrive, I will disect the original ones and take photos if I can get them apart (I know you all like photos)

I have been speaking to dave, who says it could be bad tuning thats causing the galvos to fail!!... so I`m off to find the thread on how to tune them