Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My very first laser project, 2W Viasho DPSS 532

Default My very first laser project, 2W Viasho DPSS 532

Hi all..

I have been reading alot on this forum lately.
    Yesterday I just could not hold back for any longer, even if I don't actually have money for this I ordered the following:

2W Viasho DPSS Laser Module
    DT-40Pro
    Pangolin FB3 Evaluation kit with DMX

All items include shipping.
    I have now payed for all items and just waiting for them to show up on my door.
    Jian is a very fast buisinessman! The DT-40's where shipped out really fast and should be here soon.
    Pangolin was also very fast. Item should be here in a few days.
    The one thing I have to wait for is the Laser module witch has 7-10 days manufacture time before beeing shipped out.
    I think it will feel like a year waiting for this.
    I'm like a child again waiting to open his gift.

Do I need anything else than this? Exept for the enclosure?

Will post alot of pictures and video clips in this thread.

regards
    Very happy boy from Norway
    Last edited by Atlewee; 04-23-2008 at 22:07.

Hi,

Congratulations thats a nice little rig you will have.

I have the Viasho 1.7watt doing 1.9 watt also the DT 40Pro's

I am sure you will have a lot of fun.

Have you read Bill (from Pangolin) hints and tips on tuning the DT40's and modifying them.
    May pay to have a look as the DT- 40's vary a lot from batch to batch I have four sets and they are all different in different ways probably due to how they tune them.
    They also have some filter boards that don't help you may want to remove its all covered in Bills article.
    So tuning maybe something you need to look at (maybe !).

Have fun..
    Ray
    New Zealand

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/user/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]By the way here is one of my Viasho units may give you some ideas.
    Could be made smaller I think next time I would stand PCB upright.

RAy
    NZ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00182.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by Atlewee View Post
    Do I need anything else than this?
    Perhaps some good goggles for dealing with 2 watts of green

You don't give any indication in your posts as to whether or not you're used to dealing with lasers. That's a lot of power, please be careful.

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Smile

Pitts:
    Thank you, thats a great advice. Where about is this guide/article located?

I like your setup, very clean! and optics all the way by itself

JEM:
    I was thinking about setting the output to the lowest setting when programming shows, then if you are unlucky it wont be as bad as full power.
    As you say, i'm not used to handle lasers at all.
    I have intelligent lightning, movingheads and big strobes, but lasers is another thing.
    Where do they sell these goggles?

I'm also after a mW measuring device to see how much power I will get, and also for show programming.
    Is this expencive? Where is the best place to get this?

Thanks for all advices

Atle

Quote Originally Posted by Atlewee View Post
    I was thinking about setting the output to the lowest setting when programming shows, then if you are unlucky it wont be as bad as full power.
    As you say, i'm not used to handle lasers at all.
    I have intelligent lightning, movingheads and big strobes, but lasers is another thing.
    Where do they sell these goggles?
    Firstly... You must understand that there are no second chances with your eyesight when you are dealing with this sort of power. You MUST treat the beam from the laser with the utmost respect. 2 watts of green WILL set fire to things at quite some distance, imagine what that beam will do to your eyes

I apologise for preaching, but I have to question the sensibility of jumping straight in with a 2 watt laser when you have had no previous experience. This laser is VERY dangerous if used incorrectly. Even the specular reflections from a laser of this power are very dangerous!!

Can I respectfully suggest that you don't even consider doing a laser show until you have gained some more knowledge on the safe use of lasers. I don't want to dampen your obvious enthusiasm, but you really MUST be very careful and also consider the welfare of others who may be on the receiving end of that beam.

As for the goggles, there's a group buy on these elsewhere on the forum, I think it's Mliptac that's selling them, try here... http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...ead.php?t=3670

Having said all that, welcome to the Forum and have fun... but 'safe' fun

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Hi again,

Here is the article re the scanners... But don't rush in and do this straight away you may not need to until you are fully familiar with your new toy.

http://www.pangolin.com/_Files/DT40.pdf

This article is by Bill Benner the main guru behind Pangolin. I recently visited them in Florida.. great group of guys with good taste in restaurants.

I also started with a higher powered unit (my 1.7watt) but I do need to add to Jem's caution re safety... just keep that level turned way down on the Power supply.
    It real easy to accidentally catch a side glance or reflection off the beam.

Re safety glasses you really need to do some homework on this before you rush out and buy.

Although there are heaps of safety glasses on the market there are a few tricks.
    On this site do a search on safety glasses I went into it, so somewhere buried herein is some good advice on this subject.
    One catch is if you buy a high "number" pair at your frequency 532nm you may be perfectly safe but wont see the beam at all !! so the natural
    re-action is to take them off to have "quick look" not good !!.
    You need to do this homework as you may need to have more than one pair.
    Obviously from your questions you don't have a pair but you do have a laser due any day so please keep it well down or you may only get to see it once and it may be the last thing you ever see.
    Watch for any shiny reflective surface things like chrome or mirrors in the room you playing with the laser in.
    Where to look for glasses info ? ... to buy.. Lasershow parts Australia (Dave here on PL), Bridge China also here in PL.
    Just do a google search I came up with quite a few manufacturers..

RE the meter.. There are a number of over a wide price range. Viasho make on at around $400.00 there are more scientific ones but expect to pay way more. With a two watt unit you may find yourself in a pricier bracket as two watt seems to be the cutover point to a bigger more expensive model.
    You could contact Frank at Viasho also here on PL.

Cheers

Ray
    New Zealand
    Last edited by Pitts; 04-23-2008 at 12:45.

Default Update on projector

I love pangolin! (and DHL)
    I think I ordered the FB3 21. April
    The package was sent from USA 22. April, today its 24.April and I have the card in my hand! =)

The card is really tiny! It's nice.
    The only thing that concerns me is that the microcontroller on the USB daughter card gets really hot!

Here is a few photos of my card with DMX:

Last edited by Atlewee; 02-13-2014 at 05:20. Reason: fix broken links

I wonder why Pangolin put the round orange sticker on that IC, If it is to hide what type it is, they should probably remove the high resolution picture on their site that is showing the type.
    Last edited by FourDee; 04-26-2008 at 00:41.

I'm sure it is to indicate the chip has had code loaded into it, or something similar
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/