Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanted TEC Controller designs 24-60VDC

Default Wanted TEC Controller designs 24-60VDC

I am working with several engineered Peltier heatsink and diode module Combos, Currently they are either 4 series wired 12-15 vdc 8-12 amp approximate or about 48-60 vdc @ 8-12 amps

The other setup is 2 in series and both sets in parallel so about 24vdc@ 12 Amps or there abouts.

Yes I am aware that peltiers are like laser diodes current driven semiconductor devices.

I have learned that the Vicor Megapaks and Flatpak Supplies are very good choices to supply these TEC's.

Now what I need is some solutions to power these I am finding designs all day every day for 8-15vdc tecs's at up to 4 amps on one chip solutions, these are not meeting my needs.

Really need to find and retro engineer an existing design or find a good one from someone. I have found great design consideration articles by Wavelength and Melcor but no complete designs as of yet.

It is my understanding that such a design will typically incorporate a large mosfet H-Bridge to drive these TEC from a controller operating at a lower voltage supply.

Anyway I am hungry for any DIY Schematics/Designs anyone might have kindness to refer me to. Thank you From Dave!
    clicking on my avatar will show the tricolor photocoagulator resonator cavity from a Lumenis Varia eye surgery medical laser, which i am attempting to refit. It originally was designed to produce 50-1500mw of 532 / 50-600mw of 659nm / 50-600mw of 561nm (Yellow)
    Clicking on my Avatar will show a picture of the inside of this cavity with a 1cm bar diode in the first of 3 OEM postions & KTP holder.
    Caviar Dreams on pennies, well lots of pennies.

Quote Originally Posted by frank_1257 View Post
    Anyway I am hungry for any DIY Schematics/Designs anyone might have kindness to refer me to. Thank you From Dave!

Me 2 ... i'm looking for some schematics on the german forums..

I'll let you know when i find anything

Default SeveraL Ic companies have sent samples like max and linear but they are tiny little

Reedit: Sorry I was zombied on insomnia meds, when I last wrote! =

In my pursuit of Ic's and OEM designs I have had several Ic Mfg's such as Linear Inc, And max send enginerring prototype boards and tiny little dual inline smt's I cant possibly hand solder.

All the chips designs have one thing in common they all are designed to work at 3-8vdc and 1-4 amp at the very maximum extreme.

I need a design that will use a tec control chip that uses a 10k ntd theristor and a couple mosfet drivers to support the higher drive voltage through an h-bridge of mosfets.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    Me 2 ... i'm looking for some schematics on the german forums..

I'll let you know when i find anything
    Last edited by frank_1257; 11-17-2008 at 13:49.
    clicking on my avatar will show the tricolor photocoagulator resonator cavity from a Lumenis Varia eye surgery medical laser, which i am attempting to refit. It originally was designed to produce 50-1500mw of 532 / 50-600mw of 659nm / 50-600mw of 561nm (Yellow)
    Clicking on my Avatar will show a picture of the inside of this cavity with a 1cm bar diode in the first of 3 OEM postions & KTP holder.

little smd chips i WATTA PLCC SOCKETED MODULE AND A BIG H BRIDGE
    THAT CAN DO 600-800 WATTS INTO 4 LARGE MOSFET TRANSISTORS I AM WHACKED ON AMBIEN CANT TYPE THINGS LOOK STRANGE

Say whatttttttttt ??? hehehee

i re-read your post...... ermmmmmmm sorry i numped to conclusions way to fast....

Maybe you can help me...'
    I'm looking for a simple Single tec driver with common NON SMD type components...

PS: what is AMBIEN?

Default Seems like simply stealing a design from an old medical laser would be nice.

Not sure why these are not showing up surplus on ebay?

The highest ratings I could find in an affordable lab supply were 8-10 amps at up to about 15vdc most 600-800 watt thermal controllers off the chart.

I did find a few large tec controllers that are divorced from large industrial water chillers or heaters that are in the 600-800 watt range.

so no schematic for me huh? :-)

Default I maty try to open up this 800 watt TEc controller I have by orion for h20 chilling

Thing that sucked was that it has a 240vdc supply but I have an 800 watt buck boost transformer from my 120vac lightwave 221 waterchiller to run it in the united kingdom on 240 or there abouts.
    I have not a clue what it used for a thermal sensing device and that is my biggest hurdle
    to experimenting with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    so no schematic for me huh? :-)
    Last edited by frank_1257; 11-19-2008 at 00:43.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

If some one would fucking tell me how to post inline pics in this here text I would fucking post a schematic of a simple design

Or just fucking get one of these

http://cgi.ebay.com/PID-SSR-TEMPERAT...QQcmdZViewItem

or these:

http://www.omega.com/toc_asp/subsect...ok=Temperature

please scuze my language, but todays word is fuicking.

Steve

Default No no no its spelled foiking shite

THANKS STEVE I WILL GO LOOKING HEY btw THESE tif ? yag i RECEIVED HAD BOTH ENDS ANGLED UP WHATS COOKING WITH THAT?

HAS ANYONE USED THE HANDY TOASTER OVEN, SMT INSTALL METHOD, TO APPLY FLUX AND SET SMT CHIP IN PLACE AND TO USE SURFACE TENSION TO PULL INTO SELF ALIGNMENT WHEN TOATER OVEN GETS TO MELTPOINT?
    Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    If some one would fucking tell me how to post inline pics in this here text I would fucking post a schematic of a simple design

btw HOW IS IT i AM COPYING AND PASTING PHOTOS THEY MUST ALL BE LINKED PHOTOS? RIGHT?

What is a good picture host to utilise? foik shite

Or just fucking get one of these

http://cgi.ebay.com/PID-SSR-TEMPERAT...QQcmdZViewItem

or these:

http://www.omega.com/toc_asp/subsect...ok=Temperature

please scuze my language, but todays word is fuicking.

Steve

Default Yes steve this is exactly how my undersized Melcor 6090 is built

Steve it uses one of these PID controllers and has a mosfet drive board I presume for pulse width modulation. it employs either 3 or 4 large 2-3 amp handling per mosfets on a rail all in parallel.
    This is some decent but decades old design I would not like to try to retroengineer this board it has a very high component count.
    I do not think you can just buy the panel mount controller alone and drive large peltier banks, even through a current amp.

I am going to have to go a calling to Linear Inc, again and go to a massaging someones juevo's to get my desired schematics.

There are many many designs suitable for your everyday DPSS laser but when you start trying to cool 5 watt laser diodes that should have about 10X peltier or 50 watts up to a 1000 these designs are few and far between.When googling the likes of melles griot comes popping there ugly heads up! Saying like the wolf YEA we can help you!, but its going to COST A LOT!!
    I need some bored EE to just go ok slap this pid chip with a 20 turnpot for temp setpoint, gain, and time, and use these 2 mosfet drivers and this either H bridge module or 4 sets of 4
    paralleled mosfets to get you your 8-12 amps of differential TEC Drive???? Said bored double E please step forward! Now I guess I could start ripping into my SDL All-in-one lasers to find out how they they cooled a 25 watt diode and drove it alll from a 30vdc supply?

I would very much like to strip an old medical laser these newer ones are so far beyond what I can retroengineer as to be down right amazing.

The lumenis varia has 3 small boards that employ dc-dc converters to drive the 3 sets of 4 peltiers.

THANKS STEVE I WILL GO LOOKING HEY btw THESE tif ? yag i RECEIVED HAD BOTH ENDS ANGLED UP WHATS COOKING WITH THAT?

HAS ANYONE USED THE HANDY TOASTER OVEN, SMT INSTALL METHOD, TO APPLY FLUX AND SET SMT CHIP IN PLACE AND TO USE SURFACE TENSION TO PULL INTO SELF ALIGNMENT WHEN TOATER OVEN GETS TO MELTPOINT?