Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CNI 473nm internals (for you picture lovers...)

Default CNI 473nm internals (for you picture lovers...)

Just a few pictures I snapped while doing some tweaking on my CNI 473nm module here. It's currently doing close to 250mW (stable) @ only 2A (factory setting) diode current. This module originally did around 110mW, all I did was adjust the TEC's to get maximum stable power. Enjoy!

You'll see the diode (rated at 2.5W I believe...) followed by a collimation optic (thanks phil...) followed by a chamber containing the yag, LBO and output coupler. Enjoy!! (please ignore my messy work area!!!)

*this next picture is the same as the previous picture except no flash was used*

(short exposure so the dot doesn't blind the camera!)

WOW that's beautiful!

Anything special about the collimation optic?

Give me the trick, perhaps I can improve the lasers I've got

Thanx;
    DDL
    I suffer from the Dunning–Kruger effect... daily.

My rule is: Dont mess with anything if you'll be really pissed when you break it

Almost like gambling... don't spend what you cant afford to lose etc.

Then I just figure out what pots do what and start experimenting from there. I started by turning both tecs (diode and crystals) complerely off, then brought down the diode temperature until I got the most power, then tuned in the crystals.

interestingly, this laser doesn't have an adjustment for current to the diode. It has a pot for the overall voltage going to the dc side, but I didn't mess with that because it would throw all my settings off. As far as I know it's the only way to increase the diode current (this is the TTL driver that's in an enclosure, if that matters) so it would be harder to mess up and crank something too high. Not sure about the other supplies though.
    Last edited by GooeyGus; 04-20-2009 at 18:48.

You need to clean your desk
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

Did you measure the TECs or diode power before starting?

What was the output of the unit rated at before you started?

Did you monitor the tempratures during during tweaking, or just go for the highest stable output and leave it?

Pretty sweet work Gus. Right on, bro.

Quote Originally Posted by mophead View Post
    Did you measure the TECs or diode power before starting?

What was the output of the unit rated at before you started?

Did you monitor the tempratures during during tweaking, or just go for the highest stable output and leave it?

Pretty sweet work Gus. Right on, bro.

It was doing about 110mW when I started. I didn't actually monitor the specific temperatures because I didn't have any thermistors to do so with

I basically just adjusted and adjusted and adjusted until it was at a good power and stable. It will go over 300mW but the power jumps all over the place at that level. It took me about 3 hours total to get everything adjusted, since tiny changes in the tec temperatures took a long while to stabilize. I just ran it for about 5 hours and never saw more than a 3mW variation in either direction once it warmed up. 245mW on the nose!

One thing I have noticed is that at this power level it takes a bit longer for everything to settle. It has about a half hour warm up period before it's stable at one exact power level. Now, I'm not saying it takes a half hour to build up to 250, as it hits 250mW within the first minute of run time, but it just takes a while for the power to settle and not jump around a bit.

Nice work! what model CNI is it?
    Do you have pics of the PS internals to show us which pots you tuned?

Quote Originally Posted by Zoof View Post
    Nice work! what model CNI is it?
    Do you have pics of the PS internals to show us which pots you tuned?
    +1 to that request as well

Thanx;
    DDL
    I suffer from the Dunning–Kruger effect... daily.

Thirded eded
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Wouldn't it be better to tune your lasers for modulated use? Nice work anyway
    Last edited by FourDee; 04-21-2009 at 09:24.