Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Focusing Cmount Diode

Default Focusing Cmount Diode

I have a 2W 635nM Cmount from heruursciences, but I don't know how to focus it or where I can buy lenses. I have it mounted, it does not have a fast axis lens. I want a somewhat manageable beam, not too big though. Also: It only does 650mW @ 2A, but it was advertised @ 2W, is that normal?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCI0001_1.jpg  

Heruursciences is a ripoff merchant. I'd say that not getting what you paid for is par for the course with him.

650mW at 2A doesn't sound quite right, BUT those 635nm c-mounts DO have a higher threshold and operating current than their 808nm counterparts. Try turning up the current a bit. You may have just passed threshold. Try turning it to 2.5A and see if you gain any substantial power. My guess is that a 2W 635nm diode would have an operating current of close to 3A, maybe more.

Thumbs up

Thank you for taking one for the team and buying it. Have you got any optics to tame it once you get it giong well?
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

u sure its not a ir diode looks like ir on the picture but could be wrong
    Do not look into laser with remaining eye
    Need laser repair contact me !!!!!!

It looks like it has overheated a bit.....look at the lines in the spot...... typical of a red beginning to go. I would keep that one cooled for testing and not put a lot of faith in it at all. May have facet damage...ESD? As for the focus...it does need a FAC and collimator installed. PM me and I will mail you one piece{FAC lens}....if you have not mounted one ....you may end up throwing the whole thing out. This is no easy task...even with 4 axis micro positioning. The material is 10um X 8mm.... easily lost or stuck to something and transported to never-see-it-again land.
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Hm, I turned up the current slightly. It seems like the diode has turned into a very expensive LED. I'm sad
    read the paper that came with the diode... says 1W at 1.1A... I'm going to ask for a replacement, and If I don't get one I'm going to be mad :O

You read the paper after you killed it?

About the current... that's strange. According to the listings Snoctony (on ebay) gives for his 635nm diodes, the 150mW runs 530mA, the 300mW runs 950mA, and the 500mW runs 1450mA. I have no idea if these are accurate figures, but following the curve, a 1W should eat 3A, and a 2W should eat 6A.

My wallwart only goes up to 2.1 A. I never turned it up any higher because of that limitation, and I have only run it ~5 sec to take a power reading. I don't know how it died, but it did
    Also: the paper says 2W max.

You say wallwart, I hope you mean a stabilized lab power supply, no one knows what crap a badly stabilized wallwart might produce!