Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Could It Be It's The End of Our World?

Looks like Planters

Hi Adam,

it's not only me (and my background), working on this ... we have some scientists, physicians and virologists "monitoring" different concepts.

It's actually sort of "brainstorming" and developing ideas and more to get a handle -- https://wirvsvirushackathon.org/

My idea is to use our (already existing) UVC-modules, which are normally used for UV-erasing EPROMS and develping PCB-films, for different sized prototypes -- and test them with some German laboratories.

AFAIK germs are pretty sensistive against UV-wavelengths around 260nm, what's a good part of the spectrum of the UVC-lamps in the modules ... otherwise we will select other types from Heraeus with better (shorter) spectrum and higher energies ...

VIktor
    Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?426
    Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?425

Quote Originally Posted by VDX View Post
    Hi Adam,

it's not only me (and my background), working on this ... we have some scientists, physicians and virologists "monitoring" different concepts.

It's actually sort of "brainstorming" and developing ideas and more to get a handle -- https://wirvsvirushackathon.org/

My idea is to use our (already existing) UVC-modules, which are normally used for UV-erasing EPROMS and develping PCB-films, for different sized prototypes -- and test them with some German laboratories.

AFAIK germs are pretty sensistive against UV-wavelengths around 260nm, what's a good part of the spectrum of the UVC-lamps in the modules ... otherwise we will select other types from Heraeus with better (shorter) spectrum and higher energies ...

VIktor
    i was thinking about using my 266nm pulsed job and a set of scanners to Decon my office everyday. Figured a nice slow raster would a good job in 10 min or so.

wonder if 355 would work too with slower scan. Got more of those

I almost fell out of my chair when I saw this one...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails theo_moudakis_four_horsemen.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by dchammonds View Post
    I almost fell out of my chair when I saw this one...

I was baiting mixed gas to see if he replied...
    it actuall could work but yes that was a joke

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    I was baiting mixed gas to see if he replied...
    it actuall could work but yes that was a joke
    Mixedgas bought that weird Edison Screw Based super bright germacidal 21 watt mercury based quartz lamp for 25$ off Amazon for the spectrometer project. Like just for calibration. You know, if you cant sell CFLs anymore, convert your plant to make UV lamps instead. Now He's damn glad he got it, even if it does make some Ozone. It will screw your corneas up bad if directly viewed, but now doubt it kills many biological little creepies given enough run time.

Funny thing, from US distributers they just increased 45% in price.

https://www.amazon.com/Germicidal-Screw-Socket-Light-Ozone/dp/B07YCM12XV/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=uv+germicidal+bulb+ultraviolet +light+screw+socket&qid=1584854761&sr=8-4

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

You know 266nm is perfect for killing. It would look pretty cool to walk up to a door knob and scan kill it before use or to scan the top of a toilet seat. Eye safe to as the beam is directional unless the knob is polished. 1khz 25uj. Enough not sure. Maybe dwell few seconds. They do something similar in hospitals. Not sure what the sources is however

https://www.americanultraviolet.com/...-room-UVC.html

no lasers however. I think the needed flux just isn’t portable or affordable in laser just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by VDX View Post
    It's OK Viktor, I did not mean to insult your intelligence or ability. And I agree that shorter wavelength UV sources are effective in killing lots of pathogens, including viruses and bacteria. (Although spores like cryptosporidium are much harder to kill, even with very short wavelength UV.)

It's just that there is a great deal of brainstorming going on right now, and I worry that most of it is being done without proper controls. For example: I've already been contacted by two different groups that I've done consulting for in the past, and each one was asking about the viability of using various UV and near-UV laser sources as a means of sterilizing equipment and surfaces. When I asked about microbiological testing ability, all I got in response were blank stares - they had not even considered that.

To be fair, at first glance it would seem that even something like a high power blue-ray diode would offer an economical means to kill pathogens. And indeed, 405 nm light *will* kill all kinds of germs, including the corona virus. The problem is that to achieve even a *single* order of magnitude reduction requires exposure levels of over a hundred joules per square centimeter. At that level you're either talking about a 90 + minute exposure time, or you are using the death star as your source. For just 1 order of magnitude reduction...

Then you need to consider that most sterilization methods achieve at least 4 orders of magnitude reduction, and hospital-grade sterilizers are rated for 6 orders of magnitude or more. Clearly 405 nm light isn't the way to go. Jumping up in energy, if you use a hard UV source you can dramatically reduce the exposure time, but now you also increase both the cost and the risk associated with human exposure. And in almost every case I've found that people will dramatically underestimate the energy level needed to achieve proper sterilization.

That's why I felt it important to remind the readers of this thread of the need to be able to verify the effectiveness of any new sterilization idea. There are proven methods (including good old soap and water) that are very effective, but if people stop using these proven methods and start using untested methods, there is a high chance that the infection will continue to spread due to inadequate (or outright ineffective) sterilization.

In my opinion, UV sterilization works best for the edge cases: It works well for clear liquids (primarily water) when other chemical options (chlorine, bromine, ozone, etc) can't be used and distillation is too time-consuming, and it also works well for smooth surfaces that are flat or convex when other methods (soap and water, chemical cleaning, or heat sterilization) are not an option. But UV is not cheap, and it's a lot more hazardous than soap and water.

Adam

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Mercury (most common) or industrial excimer dielectric barrier lamps (XeCl) are the sterilization lamps of choice, but LEDs are coming on strong except for UV-C

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...