• December 22, 2012

2 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: SoCaLEM 2011 Sign-Up Thread

Lightbulb

Hey there -

Quote Originally Posted by cynikal View Post
    ...i'm kind of curious what time of day this is even starting (and how late it'll run, my flight will be leaving 11pm-ish so i have to bolt around 9pm).
    Will post those details, once we 'close' this / make a call on the Date, 100% - this will be tomorrow, pending confirmation with the Venue.... but figure, most will prolly roll-in ~9-10am on Sat, and run till they kick us out...

RE: Hotel-info, for the 'rest of ya' - well, since not enough peeps have posted who-all is gonna need a motel for Fri/Sat, etc, I can't really do too-much with any-one place to 'negotiate pricing' if I can't say, how many rooms it likely will-be....Sooo, I guess I'll just say, with the venue being located at 20215 Saticoy St, Canoga Park, CA 91306, a short-distance west of Winnetka, probably the 'closest-place' (and, looks-like might be the 'cheapest', too...) will be the Motel 6, on DeSoto...

I have no idea of Motel 6's 'hooker / cockroach-count' room-quality, etc, but here's some 411, and ya'll can rally-up yer own digs, dig?

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um...ed=0CAwQtgMwAA

peas..
    j
    Last edited by dsli_jon; 01-17-2011 at 02:54.
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    on DeSoto...

peas..
    j
    Damn, I wish I could attend; isn't there a lil hilltop park on DeSoto?

Default T-18...

OK, Kats -

The SoCaLEM 2011 Venue
    will-be:

Metronome Studios
    aka Lotus Hall
    20215 Saticoy Ave
    Canoga Park, CA 91306

..you can read a little bit about the place / its' history, in this post, here http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...245#post177245

The Dates will-be:

Set-up / LEM Dinner: Friday, February 4th, 2011; we can have the place all-day, no-charge, for set-up / testing...
    Show-Day(s) / Nite: Saturday, February 5th, AND Sunday, 6th; We can 'start' as early-as 10am, if everyone wants...
    OPTION: Going to our 'Van Nuys' shop for Sun will now-be an 'emergency-back up plan' ONLY...

So, when you post, please indicate whether you are 'Confirmed' or 'Out' (or, still 'Pending'...)

Budget: Now at 18+ solid Confirmeds, adding a little-in for 'community-sundries' like soda / ice / paper-goods, etc etc, SoCaLEM Entrance Cost is $75. / LEMmer (plus Dinner on Fri nite, whatever that ends-up being...)

Sign-up List has Moved to Page 4-5:

The Stage will help with 'height', since it is a bit 'elevated' already, and, we're not going to get all 'anal' about insisting on 'flying-rigs to 3m', etc, but don't come expecting that this is gonna just be 'all-out audience-scanning' with Class IV rigs, etc. just-because it's a 'private event' - it's still gonna be a *safe* one. If you choose to put yourself in the middle of a 'scanned-cone', etc, from your own-rig, for a picture, etc - well, since you will have signed the 'waiver', if you burn yer eyes-out - OR those of anyone you bring - we *won't* be hearing from yer blood-sucking laywer, later-on, now will-we? But for the 'rest' of the Peeps, you will have to agree to be 'aware-of and accepting-of' the risks that will be at this Event. Dig??

ALSO - for the very-reasons stated above, re: 'minors'... sorry, this gig is strictly 'NC-18' It's just too 'risky' having 'youngsters' running around, 'nothing personal'....
    If someone's, like, *16 or 17* or something?...well, PM-me, to-discuss.... ....But, sorry, the 'budding 8 yr old laserist' will just have-to 'watch it on YouTube'...

HOTEL INFO: please see, Post #31, above...

Also - again - How many of you attendees, would *want* to have Ions, there / actually *have* Laserium-shows? I am trying to gauge whether we *need* to plan-for the extra-cost of 3Ø and water, at-least, for 1-nite... And if I need to *plan* for getting a truck to haul out the 'artillery'?

How many folks that are "Definitely" coming, are bringing their own rigs / show-content? Let us know...

What am I forgetting? Lemme know...
    Paz y Luz...
    J

PS - PLEASE - please, let's keep this thread *JUST* for 'Sign-ups' / Final-Event Info - I don't want to 'clutter' this Thread with 'discussions / pros-cons', if there are-any, about the Venue and/or Dates... Let's still keep this one concise / 'exclusively' about Where / When / Who's Comin, dig?

For Venue / Dates 'discussions / pros-cons', please post over at the 'original' thread: http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...202#post178202 Thankums...
    j

PPS - Just-because this is a 'SoCal Thang' doesn't mean that the 'extended' PL-Family is not Welcome - 'Come one, Come all!' (as long as yer over 18... ) I mean, we look to-have Kats comin from AZ, NM, CO, and (possibly) as far-away-as OR, OH, WI, CT, and FL... ...Ya'll over on the 'other side of the Pond' are more-than Welcome... Though I know...it's a *tad bit* short of-notice... But, just know that the 'Red Carpet' is hereby rolled out, k?
    Last edited by dsli_jon; 01-29-2011 at 10:33. Reason: moved sign-ups to recent-pages

Confirm (JAFO)

Also, I live about 60 minutes out from the venue (out toward Ontario Airport), but if anyone has a sleeping bag and needs a piece of floor with full bathroom/shower privileges, I have a couple of empty rooms here

It ain't much, but it's warm, dry (except in the shower), and free.

Peace,
    dave

Default T-17...

Quote Originally Posted by daguin View Post
    Confirm (JAFO)

Also, I live about 60 minutes out from the venue...I have a couple of empty rooms here
    ...warm, dry (except in the shower), and free.
    Most kind of you Sir....

BUMP for Post #33...

ciao ciao
    j

Default Conf.

Confirmed, most likely 1 day / sat.
    RGB laser projectors
    Pangolin Beyond .NET
    APC40 Midi controllers
    Pangolin FB3 controllers
    DZ splitter
    LS MegaWatt Green Machine

Confirmed. Driving down on Friday, back on Sunday.

Confirmed!

My girlfriends mother lives about 2 miles from the venue.. Looks like I'm staying there!
    - instinct

Exclamation DiLEMma, and some goodies...

Ok, first of all - what was it that Charlie Brown used to scream when Lucy pulled-away the football?
    AAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ....there, I feel better...

Ya know, just nothing quite like typing for an hour about a newly cropped-up problem, and some thought-through solutions, only to have the entire post wiped-out, when you go to 'preview', and your browser takes a taking the cache in the process... ArglebarglefargleaaaAAAARRRRGH!! ....OK - exhale... Now, lemme friggin start again...

Hi Kats,

Sheesh, well 'T-15', and we've got a little problemo... First, (another 'rant' ) why don't people friggin READ anymore???!!!

OK, so I stopped by at the LEM Venue, last-nite, to just 'triple-check' all our bases, confirm-pricing, get a Contract from them / whatever, etc, (...though, when I first thought to-recommend this place, I had-sent all our specs / dates / Pricing-offer to the venu owner via email, and 2x since-then, and, in following-up, verbally, on the phone with him, he 'apparently' understood and agreed with everything, since he said (quote) "... yes, I got your email, everything is fine...for you, it's ok, don't worry,
    you can have the place, it's fine...")
    since we're about to start collecting the 'kitty' from 'confirmeds' etc, and I wanted to-be 300% for-sure, first...

Well, 'apparently' he never READ the emails, cause he was all like 'Whaaat?' when I asked to confirm the Pricing / 'where's the Contract?' ,etc... He says, 'well, for 'cold-calls / walk-ins', they 'typically get $2500. / nite (!) to rent as much of the place as we need, but 'for me' (cause I know he wants to woo-us into bringing-in regular Laserium-shows, there...) he says 'he can give the two-nights, including water / 3Ø power, for $2K, total, including Fri nite for set-up, no charge'... yeah, well, sorry - that's *only* $700. over-budget, so FAIL...

NO, I don't think he's 'trying to pull a fast-one', I think he's just truly an 'aloof' kinda-guy - you know, the 'yeah, yeah, sure, everything's fine, it's ok' but he hasn't actually heard a word you said... Arrgh...

So, here's my thoughts on a 'solution' - Yes, first I can *try* to see if he'll take a 'bit' less, like maybe $1800. for the twin-nites, but that's *still* $500. over the plan... -

A) We do just Sat. nite, (yes, we still-get Fri for 'free') at the Metronome - this, in-theory, should-only be $1K, (and yes, I will verify, in-person and writing...) and we can then-decide what 'to-do' about Sun...

Now, I am more than happy to 'offer' Van Nuys, for nothing, but, truthfully, the place is just really-not 'ready' for this size group, and there is no-way, unless you all wanna come-down and spent a week here.. I can spend the time necessary getting it 'ready'... way too many projects going on, right now - I shouldn't even be spending as much time on this LEM, as I have, but... you all-know how this 'addiction' is...

Plusses of Van Nuys are that in 'Studio A', which is about a 20' x 30' room, with a 'control-booth', and plenty of 110V, etc, and we can make all the noise and fog we want... 'Minuses' are that the room is 'pretty-tiny', and nothing is really set-up... There's really no good 'place to eat' (set, in the shop) and the room is dusty / dirty from remodeling back in June, and the bathroom for the place, is rather 'in-hospitable'... In-all, though, I really don't think the place is *an* option, for the whole LEM.. Best-case, it is an 'emergency-backup' for Sun, only...

B) The other idea is that we, all somehow 'come-up with the difference', for Sunday at the Metronome... However, the only way I see that happening is if we somehow get a 'sponsor', as I certainly can't-see asking peeps for $100.-each, and - especially - if we get less than 20-paid PL'ers... Now, DSLI is doing-well, but, sorry, I honestly have more 'pressing-priorities' for any 'spare' $700. that I could-offer up, and I really didn't intend to take this whole-thing on - not cause I'm not happy-to, otherwise, but I've already got 6x more-commitments than any rational-human should have - even if I had 'clones', they'd all be bitching about my workload!

So, does someone wanna spearhead seeing if we can drum-up a 'sponsor'? I mean, the place is *really* nice, great sound-system, plenty of truss, etc to make quick-work of rigging / mirrors, etc, good parking, good area for 'overflow' / eating / swap-meeting, etc - here's a couple more pix of the 'dining' / atrium-area, and the 'house-view' of the main room:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0373.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	23119Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0374.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	23120Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0376.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	23121

...And, too, trying to 'find another place', right-now, is just something I *don't* want to suggest, nor tackle, and trying to and 'strike and re-set', somewhere else, for Sun will really suck / major time-waste - going to Van Nuys would be a 'pain', enough... the only-thing 'redeeming' about VNY is we can go set-up there at 1am, if you want, etc... and not lose so-much time on Sun....

I will try and see of the owner will 'accept' $1800., for the Fri / Sat / Sun, on the basis that he SAID "ok", (but never READ his email, apparently) but I'm fairly certain we won't get it back to $1300. for the pair of days...

So, Thoughts? Brainstorms? Studio A on Sunday with lots of Coronas? lemme know...

ALSO - Thanks to all the 'Confirmeds' that are 're-confirming' but what we REALLY NEED is for those 'Pendings', to PLEASE TRY AND CONFIRM, ASAP - we understand it's difficult, (that's why I say 'soon as Possible' but this next week, we really need to have this all locked-down, establish our 'minimums', and get the 'kitty' started...

And by the end of next week / early the LEM-week, we need peeps to post who's bringing what and make a show-plan / Gear-plan / load-in schedule, etc... K?

Now, just to 'keep everybody stoked', I whipped-up a little 'logo', and there's a base-logo version, print-version, black-T version and, heh - 'Name Tag-version' :

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SoCaLEM_2011sm.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	23122Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SoCaLEM2011_wTag_Bsm.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	23123Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SoCaLEM2011_wTag_Wsm.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	23125Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SoCaLEM2011_NmTg_Bsm.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	23124

...anybody wanna volunteer to 'whip-up some ink-jet iron-ons'? lemme know, I have higher-res artwork avail...

Shwew - Dang that was a lot to re-type... Please all post / PM yer thoughts, ASAP...

"... And we Thank You For Your Support."

peas...
    j
    Last edited by dsli_jon; 01-20-2011 at 23:13.

Holy LEM-logos Batman! That looks very good.

When I finally get around to putting together a LEM up here, you'll have to do the logo.

-Jonathan